inFamous or prototype?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by redraidermacman, Jun 8, 2009.

1. redraidermacman macrumors regular

wondering peoples thoughts, i have infamous and love it .... it made me

wonder with prototype coming out tomorrow what peoples thoughts were,

there are no reviews posted for it yet, which is a bit disconcerting....anyway,

just gauging peoples interest.....

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've been searching about this too - for a while...

I really have enjoyed inFAMOUS so far, but I do not think I'm too far from finishing (2/3 zones done).

Yeah it's a little repetitive, but it really does feel a lot like Crackdown, albeit without the ability to drive vehicles (hopefully the inevitable inFAMOUS2 addresses this) and that game hooked me, just as much as this is doing. Which is good..... :)

Prototype has always looked more like THE INCREDIBLE HULK than any other sandbox game, and that's a little worrying, but lets not pre-empt anything as according to Metacritic the PS3 version has received a 9/10 from PSW ? So I'm holding out some hope that it's good.

If it is reviewed well 7+ at least, then I'm gonna trade in Bionic Commando for it on Friday. BC is *****.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm still playing infamous and its rocking my world. Sucker Punch did a good job on this one.

As for prototype...its looks pretty average to me and all about mass destruction and thats not my type of game.

Bless

4. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

All the reviews on Metacritic gave it 90+. But IGN just gave it a 7.5. Seems like one of those games were reviewers are just unsure. I won't get it, looks nice, but I'm not interested.

5. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

This kinda reminds me of my "inFamous vs Prototype" thread a few weeks back... ;)

I just read the Prototype review from IGN Australia, and it actually sounds pretty good.

I wasn't crazy about the inFamous demo, so I guess IF I was to get one of them, it would likely be Prototype. It seems to be more up my alley. That's a pretty big IF though.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

inFamous is quite good fun. Very repetitive alright, but still good fun.

It is very similar in concept to Crackdown (enhanced human, fighting crime on 3 islands with different gang on each, climbing buildings by jumping from window to window, jumping from roof to roof, gathering artefacts which improve your powers).

inFamous is visually more impressive; though in Crackdown I believe your 'powers' scale more as you progress, which is a lot of fun. Being able to leap across huge distances or jump right up onto roofs is fun. In inFamous, when you fall off a roof it's quite tedious getting back up, climbing is pure button-mashing, no skill or variety involved. Being able to die from high falls in Crackdown is a positive too.

(Ok, that was a inFamous v Crackdown comparison, I haven't played prototype so I can't compare.. :) )

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Of course the biggest difference is the vehicles in crackdown too. The fact that they too scale and transform depending on your skill levels.

Crackdown like you say also levels up to a further degree. I'm pretty much maxed out my inFAMOUS hero powers and yet I'm only 2/3'rds of the way through. I don't feel any necessity to go hunting for any more elusive shards either. Whereas the leveling up on Crackdown persisted right to the end.

Both are great games though, and I wouldn't really say one is better than the other, they are both to me equal overall.

I'm going to get prototype on Friday regardless, and get rid of Bionic Commando which is a really bad game. I'll see how it compares and let you all know :)

8. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

inFAMOUS is significantly better than Prototype IMO. The story, gameplay, and over all feel of the game are so well done in inFAMOUS that Prototype can't touch them. Ya Prototype has fun gameplay elements but it drags and drags after about a hour and a half of blowing stuff up.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Prototype is utterly schizophrenic. It's all over the place with no focus.

That applies to the gameplay, and story.

The graphics are alright for an open world game, though textures are a little lacking and variety too, at least for once the PS3 version is running without slow down and a decent amount of AA has been applied too, so there is no jaggies to worry about.

Just playing and 1.0.1 update turned up. Maybe a fix for the install bug that has been reported, however since I never had that bug ?

10. Screwtape macrumors regular

I haven't played it, but i reviewed pretty low, so I'm passing on it.

inFamous looks awesome, but alas, I don't have a PS3.

11. Tsubame macrumors newbie

They're two very different games, inFamous is more of a sandbox game, whereas Prototype is more arcade-beatemup style (though it has sandbox elements as well). inFamous powers are all mostly electric, whereas Prototype has mostly biological powers. inFamous has a few distinct abilities (that all feel very satisfying), Prototype has a very large selection of upgrades (the first mission unlocks at least 20).

That said, they have their ups and downs.

inFamous:
    The Good: The city really makes you feel like you're in a city where something's bad happened. It's smooth, it looks dirty and well, like a city. The people will interact with you body on your reputation (huddling to take pictures of Good Cole or throw stuff at Bad Cole). The powers feel VERY satisfying. Lightning Storm really feels like a destructive force being unleashed, you really get a feel of speed when Induction Grinding, explosions very real and interact with your sound and vibration VERY effectively.

The Bad: The game is glitchy at times. Graphical issues, sometimes Cole fumbles around when you are trying to heal/drain a person on the ground. It occasionally gets repetitive, but the sheer variety of the side missions makes this much more minor than in a game like Assassin's Creed. Morality is pretty cut and dry, and with the exception of one mission I always knew which choice to make for the 'good' path. You basically just decide from the beginning of the game and stick with it. Evil is more fun.

The Ugly: Not much, it's a very pretty game, and is about the caliber I expect from most next-gen games. Not Uncharted quality, but not ugly either.

Prototype

The Good: If you are into action, Prototype has action on massive scales. It regularly reaches a level of chaos that inFamous only hits in a select few missions. There's some fun powers that work more on form shifts and melee combat than infamous. If you like more melee combat and feeling like a god, than Prototype may be better for you. inFamous you feel powerful, but not really omnipotent (rockets still nearly instant-kill you through a large part of the game) and you can be hurt. Prototype, it takes tanks and helicopters to bring you solidly down. There's so many upgrades, you can spend a lot of time working on getting them, some feel very satisfying.

The Bad: It gets more repetitive than inFamous. Because it deals with such large scale conflicts all the time, anything less than that in the game starts to feel very dull. The powers don't FEEL as satisfying as they do in inFamous. When I throw a car in Prototype, it doesn't feel as hefty as it does when you throw a car in inFamous with a shockwave. Things just feel heavier, weighter, and more realistic in inFamous. Cutting people up doesn't feel like you are cutting them up, just dispatching a baddie that drops some health for you. As I said, much more of an arcade feel. The attempts at stealth mechanics seem lacking. Sometimes, I feel like I am playing twister with the d-pad to do certain moves. (Hold R2 while pressing R1 and move the right stick to the tune of the macarena~! Okay, a bit of exagerration)

The Ugly: The game doesn't have the polish that inFamous does, but it's a multiplatform title, so that's not surprising (The game has to be catered to the LCD of the systems it is on, and not as much time can be spent on optimizing it for one system). The city looks dull, lifeless, and drab the entire game, it doesn't seem like an alive place like inFamous. Alex Mercer's character model is not as well done as Cole's in inFamous. What could be really cool morphing effects all use the same morphing-animation that covers the body while it changes. The character models, as a whole, are not as robust as inFamous (though there are ingame style cutscenes in Prototype, inFamous uses comic book style scenes to progress the story). The rocket launchers look silly.

Final Opinion: inFamous is a more polished game, graphically speaking. It has a much more comic-book superhero/supervillain vibe, as you realize you are a normal person with special powers. Prototype, you are something MORE than human, and aren't as constrained by human laws anymore. If you are looking for a gory superpower beat-em-up, then Prototype is that kind of game. If you want a bit more sandbox good/evil type game, than that would be inFamous. I'd probably give Infamous an 8.5, and Prototype like a 7 or 7.5

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Err what? That's a little discombobulated.

The game can look pretty, but it can also look ropey too. The game exhibits awful anti-aliasing jaggies. Also like Prototype it iritates that buildings exhibit no damage, However the texture work is generally very good.

13. Tsubame macrumors newbie

I meant it has graphical issues like sometimes not aligning things probably, some clipping and anti-aliasing issues.

However, a graphical glitch doesn't make the graphics inherently worse, which is why I was saying it is still a very pretty game. It just glitches from time to time, and rarely anything major.

14. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Ya, I know I'm not going to get Prototype. It seems to random and all over the place. And I'm having too much fun with Infamous, Red Faction Guerrilla, and Uncharted 2 beta right now.

15. Mirror.image macrumors newbie

I would recommend InFamous, i'm sure prototype is great 2 but infamous is one of the most fun games i've played, and i am not much for electricity :p

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Both games are actually fun.

4 hours into Prototype, and quite enjoying it despite its massive flaws.

It's certainly not as refined as inFAMOUS and that is easily the better game. But that doesn't mean prototype is bad - its just lacking overall finesse.

One thing that's enjoyable in games like this is the collection of orbs/shards. Crackdown did this magnificently, really rewarding exploration and making you want to upgrade in order to reach those ever allusive orbs. inFAMOUS does a good job of doing the same, albeit they are not really hidden in really rewarding / original places. Prototype on the other hand is a disaster in this regard. The fact that you practically have to be on top of them because they are hidden mostly by a poor draw in distance on the object rather than any skill of the programmers. It also means collecting them is a chore based on luck rather than skill or desire.

The best thing about PROTOTYPE is the levelling up feature which allows a huge degree of leveling up, and the desire to obtain points to achieve those new powers is what drives you to play some of the missions.

With inFAMOUS skilling up is basically tied to the level / mission / story structure and the repetative nature of doing same thing in a damp sewer that look identical over and over is a little trite.

Where inFAMOUS scores massivly is the story arc / and the good / bad axis.
    This adds hugely to the replayability of the game and certainly means the longevity of the title surpasses PROTOTYPE by a long mile.

If your going to buy 1 openworld game with super powers then certainly inFAMOUS is the one to go for. However if you havent got a PS3 then PROTOTYPE will provide a good degree of enjoyment, and it's certainly a lot more fun than many recent open world shootemups like Mercenaries 2.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well inFAMOUS is finished and I liked the ending kinda. But I'm still left with a chicken and egg quandary that becomes more irksome if you think too much about it.

Played through as HERO, not sure if I'll be rushing to re-play as EVIL but at least I know the games there if I ever do.

Overall I enjoyed the game, but more variety in enemies, and more boss battles would have been appreciated. Actually more 'stand out moments' are required as there really isn't any moment in the game that stood out for me. This stops it reaching that classic game status for me...

--

As for prototype... I'm growing bored now....

18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I think that's the achilles heel of all free-roaming games (inFamous/Red Faction Guerilla/Far Cry 2/Assassin's Creed etc etc.....) Apart from the main missions/quests, not a lot happens in the world.

Other NPCs roam around, going about their business but nothing really changes much. You could kill a load of people, but more will show up.

If you play the main quests, then occasionally the game world will change, but only slightly. And it's triggered entirely by your accepting the mission. (For some reason, no one ever finds it strange that instead of fighting crime, you spend days on end climbing buildings to collect orbs/artefacts etc... and the criminals will just be there waiting for you whenever you want.)

Games like this NEED the element of surprise. The need the game world, or the characters in it, to change to catch the gamer off-guard; not just when the player triggers it by playing a main quest but just as time passes.

Maybe if it rains for consecutive days, parts of the gameworld flood forcing you to find alternative routes, or vehicles. Or maybe over time workers will construct new bridges/roads than make it easier for you. Perhaps the enemy attack in numbers randomly, and permanently destroy some of your bases, making it far more difficult. There should be unique characters that you may meet (or better yet, hunt and find) which will affect the game or your character, and unique items to find - NOT just find 300 of "X", scattered around the world.

And there should be hidden parts of the gameworld that you're not aware of at the start. In most of the above games, within about 20 minutes you know almost exactly how the entire game, gameworld, plot and gameplay are going to turn out, and just are choring your way through them.

19. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I'd say Prototype, because running around and killing randomers for health sounds extremely fun to me.

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

You can do that in inFAMOUS as well....its called Bio-leaching.

Bless

21. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

And once the novelty wears off, it's not fun by itself at all in either games.