inFamous vs Prototype

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, May 12, 2009.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

So both games are aound the corner, IGN's infamous review will be up in a few hours. What's everyone's thoughts?

From all the videos I have seen, I have a hard time getting excited about inFamous. Superpowers in an open world sound fun and all, but so far the only super power I have seen is shooting lightning. And let's be honest, gameplay-wise he might as well be shooting a regular gun (or a raisin gun). He shoots stuff, and people die or stuff blows up when hit. I'm hoping there will be more to the whole superpowers thing than that. I guess the review will tell... Maybe the story will make all the difference in this game anyways, I'm curious to find out.

Prototype is looking a lot more exciting to me, just judging from the trailers and footage I have seen. Not sure why. Just seems more original...?

To be fair, I haven't followed either game too closely, these are just the impressions I have gotten from the random trailers and articles I have stumbled across. :)

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Total reverse feelings for me.

Crackdown proved to me that Super Powers in a open world environment can equal enormous fun and great video game moments.

The videos for infamous look great, the only thing that jars for me on the video front is that all the baddies looked like the masked identikit army brigade.

So that is a concern, and some of the the videos I've seen show platforming sections over a bridge in the mist, and it looked to me quite worrying - simply because it was a classic case of not really knowing where you were going, jumping platform to platform in dense fog with no sense of location is not the kind of platforming anyone likes. Hopefully that video is the only section of the game like this - otherwise as I'd say I would be concerned.

But so far it looks very promising and await the review with bated breath.

As for prototype, well the previews and videos have done nothing for me. It just looks a bit MEH! as far as I can tell.

3. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I'm all about super powers, that's why infamous intrigued me at first. Then I saw some gameplay footage, and all the guy did was walk around and shoot lightning. To me, it looked...generic and boring, to be honest. Curious to see what more he can do. I like to be proven wrong in cases like that! ;)

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I think inFamous is supposed to be more of a shooter-kind of game, more akin to Crackdown. You throw lightning bomb thinngys, can hover using electricity, and are supposed to be moving around a lot as baddies firepower will overwhelm you etc. Prototype is supposed to be more of a melee kinda rip-people-to-shreds-and-eat-them kinda deal. In the end, I will probably get both. Sucker Punch is a great dev and they get to come out early, so if it knocks it outta the park, Prototype could suffer for it (?). Then again, it's PS3 only and yeah.... not so awesome for sales.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

inFAMOUS has a TPS feel with a focus on one/one combat and tighter controls than usual open world games. The scaling is tight as well.

Prototype seems like hulk ultimate destruction with a emphasis on mass destruction rather than single.

inFAMOUS is more my flavor.

Bless

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

IGN UK & US reviews are out and it's recieved very good reviews. Definetly a buy for me....

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

We already have similar pairs of movies being released all the time, is this going to start happening to video games as well?

Prototype always looked more interesting of the two to me, but since Infamous is a PS3 exclusive that kind of settles it anyway (hint: I don't have a PS3). :p Not that I'm too interested in either. Kinda of generic settings, and getting tired of these kind of sandbox games.

8. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Did you never play the original Turok on the N64? I think most of us enjoyed that game and it had a bunch of the platform jumping in the mist which you bemoan. :confused:

Anyway, inFamous seems more interesting to me. I'll wait for the reviews and people's play experience opinions, though. Hopefully it will at least be worth a rent.

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

IGN and exclusive review? 10 for GTA IV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10 for Halo 3!! B35T G@M3 3V@R!

10. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I think Prototype looks really bad.... It just looks like a generic superhero game. The environment looks bland and boring, and the missions look repetitive. Infamous looks great. The environment looks varied, the climbing looks like an improved version Assassin's Creed's, and it looks like there is a ton to do.

Of course, I could be wrong, they could both be amazing games. I'm going with Infamous for now because I loved the Sly Cooper series, and I trust that Sucker Punch can make another hit.

As for Crackdown, it isn't a game I ever got into. There was absolutely no plot or point. You just walked around, find a boss, kill the boss, and repeat. But I got it for $10 on Amazon, and it was fun (and definitely worth $10) but I could just never get into it.

Plus, there are just too many open world games coming out in the next month... I don't want them all.

11. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I have to admit Infamous sounds pretty good from the reviews. I'll still wait and see for awhile though. Too much of a backlog as it is...

I need to beat Bioshock (finally started), finish Far Cry 2 (60% or so done...after 30+ hours ;) ), and then I was planning to grab RE5 and beat that. Oh, and I also need to write my master thesis... :eek:

If all this happens before the next Uncharted and Ratched&Clank games come out, Infamous may have a chance! :D

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

God no I hated those platforming sections in Turok. But the point is that those sections of mist /fog in turok were there because of limitations of hardware (the fog) and no FPS should do platforming, even Half Life's last quarter on the alien planet was awful thanks to the platfoming....

True, they didn't deserve 10's but at least it gives you an idea of the game, and there's a big difference between a 10/9/8 and a 6/5/4 which it could have easily been.

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

inFamous is a freaking blast. Takes a lil getting used to (it kind of sticks you onto stuff when you jump) but when you dash up to some dude, punch him, then use your shock wave thinggy to shoot him off a building you can't help but smile.

14. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

15. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

16. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I have been playing the demo like crazy :p