inFamous!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by spyker3292, May 26, 2009.

1. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

inFamous hit stores today, and I got my copy in the mail (Amazon, of course). Who else got it?

I've only played a few hours (work...) but so far it's pretty sweet. It feels a bit like the Sly Cooper games, but also like superhero games like Crackdown and Spiderman. Everything is great, and I love the comic book cut scenes (a lot like Sly Cooper), I just wish I could decide to be evil or good... I can't pick! (I'll just play as the other a second time around)

And related to that, 1 week until the Uncharted 2 beta!

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have it, it can get extraordinarily difficult at times.

3. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

4. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ya, it can get hard. I turned down the difficulty (the game auto-selected hard for me).

5. PHaXor macrumors newbie

I will buy it soon!

I usually play all games on Medium, but on this game i will try Hard as i love these kinds of games and i know i will manage easily :)

6. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

It's a good game, but almost feels like a 're-skinned' Crackdown with different weapons. Still like it though, Sucker Punch is a good studio.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I have it but I haven't opened it as yet but this weekend I'll dig down into it...I need a break from Team Fortress 2 and Punch Out!!

From the demo alone I can see the challenge in certain missions.

Bless

8. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

I got it yesterday morning! Lol, it was one of the few games I actually purchased on launch day. I've absolutely loving it so far. I think the story is good, the action is almost perfect, and the layout of the city is very well done. The game does get difficult at times (on medium) but what good game shouldn't? If I go into a situation and die, then I know that path was obviously not a good one and I'll try a different one! The ability to wall climb and all that fun stuff makes for almost infinite route possibilities.

Anyways, I'm about 1/3 the way finished with the game. It's kept my interest so far and I'm sure it'll keep it the rest of the way. :) Just hope I can play through as the "villain" next.

9. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I finally got around to playing the demo yesterday. Seems like a solid game, good controls and all, but it just didn't excite me very much. The city looked kinda bland and boring, and in the end all you do is run (climb) around and shoot lightning at people. :confused:

I'll very likely pass on this. Too many other good games to play.

10. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I'm thinking about buying it, but the UK price is rather too high for my tastes right now - I'll wait for a price drop!

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Yeah, reminds me a lot of Crackdown too. A lot of fun.

My only gripes are the city streetscape is a bit bland... and the "auto-grabbing" of ledges. It's a pity you don't have a button for this, sometimes you want to jump and fall without grabbing anything! It's the gaming equivalent of the Word paperclip:

"Hey, it looks like you're grabbing a ledge!!" - No, I just want to jump and fall to grab the blast shard.
    "Hey, it looks like you're grabbing a higher ledge!!" - No, I just want to jump and fall to grab the blast shard!!!
    "Hey, it looks like you're jumping onto the cable and grinding!!" - NO. I JUST WANT TO FALL!!!

At times, it's like being being covered in velcro - at times it's a serious hindrance when you're standing on a 3ft railing and you can't just hop off without hanging off it, jumping to something even higher or killing yourself.

Even more annoying, while in most of the game you can't walk off a ledge (even a 1ft ledge) without hitting the drop button twice, there's at least one place where you just walk off and fall without warning, resulting in another character dying! (won't spoil any more).

The fact you can't die from falls too takes away a lot of the 'buzz' of climbing the jumping from building to building - as you had in Crackdown.

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^

I agree with the not dying from falling bit. I would have made the jumps more important.

I don't see why people complain so much about the stickyness of the landings though. You just have to over jump things if you don't wanna stick. I think, though, it would have been better if you held R2/O then you wouldn't stick to anything or just fell of ledges, just to give the option of it.

13. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Good idea.

There are buildings/instances where this is a problem. You want to jump and then fall down along a wall (to get a blast shard), but the 'auto grab' will distort your jump to catch a nearby ledge. It's a bit odd that you can jump off the top of the tallest skyscraper without injury, but jumping 2ft away and falling is beyond you. I guess being a superhero ain't as easy as it looks.

In tight spaces, it's annoying - such as when you're trying to jump over a railing onto a balcony, in any other game it would be one step. In inFamous, it's jump, catch the overhead ceiling. Then drop, and catch the floor of the balcony you're aiming for, jump up to grab the edge of the railing, then jump or climb up on top of the railing, then drop down onto the balcony; and hope you don't grab it on the inside. While being shot at. Grrrrr. ;)

14. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Oh, and in case my rant above put anyone off - this game is great fun. The storyline so far is a bit vague, but the gameplay shines. Some of the bigger battles are sheer chaos! :p

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm having great fun with the game but my only gripe is those damn reapers are ace at shooting....damn man tell me how did he hit me from a 30 story building with a AK?

The game is so enjoyable that any other faults is silenced by the good.

Bless

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Noticed quite a few glitches when playing last night -

- If you shoot a megawatt hammer from the top of a train, instead of it travelling quicker, it travels at the same speed meaning you overtake it and it hits you!

- If you jump at the front of a stationary train, it can kill you.

- There are several places you can run off the edges of buildings.

- Most annoyingly, there are lots of tiny steps/changes in level about ankle height to Cole (especially in the shanty town area) which he can't run over. You have to jump over them.

- Occasionally, if you climb onto a roof which isn't perfectly flat, you can't run on it. If you try to run, you'll slide backwards to the ledge again.

- There are lots of places where you can jump though/into walls.

Funnily, most of the above - apart from the mini-steps - aren't annoying at all, just add to the unpredictability of the whole thing. :)

p.s. is there any way to see a list of the stunts? I've completed several without realising it, and have no idea which I've done and which I've yet to do. (only "16 from 21").

17. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Sorry for resurrecting an older thread, but I just bought this game yesterday and I love it! I'm not really a gamer and I usually only play football games and Grand Theft Auto. After seeing some videos of inFamous online, I had to make an exception.

I think one of the most fun parts for me, so far, is scaling the buildings, cables, and other structures. Another thing that I really enjoy about the scaling is that you don't have to really be precise when jumping from object to object. I also love the fact that you can't die when you fall off of buildings.

So far, I've been playing as a "good guy". Once I beat it this way, I think I'll play it again later as a "bad guy".

Anyways, I'm just excited about this game and I'm looking forward to getting off work to play it (that's not normal for me :D).

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I thought that too. Once finished though, I couldn't be bothered restarting. Good game that gets a bit too samey by the end.

19. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Sony announced its now 40 bucks and gigawat bladeds will be a free DLC this week great time to pick this up if you havent yet.

20. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I see that it's 40 bucks, but what's free DLC for? The full game? Are there updates? I just got a PS3 so I'm interested.

21. macfan881 macrumors 68020

The Game is now for sale for 40 bucks compared to the normal 60 and the DLC is free wich was orignally a preorder item from gamestop only at the time if im not mistaken?

22. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Yeah, I won't replay it anytime soon. In a year or so, I'll go back and play it as a bad guy.