Infected Files?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prohybe, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Prohybe macrumors member

My ClamXav recently discovered an infected file and i deleted the file. It had to due with Internet domain. Should i delete all the infected files?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It was most likely infected with Windows malware, which can't harm your Mac at all. What kind of file was it?

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

3. Prohybe thread starter macrumors member

I can't remember... i removed it already, so these files are okay to be deleted?
    I mean the infected ones

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, if you've already deleted it, it's gone. So it's moot. Generally speaking, yes, it's best to simply delete the file.

5. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

You just copy/paste this everywhere, right :D

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not everywhere. Only when the same questions get asked. There's only so many ways to answer the same question.