Infected WiFi Network and iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MunchenEconomic, Jul 27, 2010.

1. MunchenEconomic macrumors newbie

Hello, this is my first time posting here, and I'm not sure if this is the exact spot to post this, but it feels to me a general issue that can probably be answered by someone here.

Recently I was away on vacation and arrived back to work today, and going back to the building I work at I learn that a virus has managed to infect the wireless network (they leave the network open - I'm a college student and I don't make the decisions) and were telling anyone whoever used the network to do a scan of their computer and check for infection.

Now, I have never used the WiFi at work with my iPhone, but do not bother to actually switch off the WiFi setting everytime I come in, but on hearing this news I turned my WiFi setting off just to be sure. But one of the people working on the network told me today that even though I never connected to the WiFi via my phone (nor even opened any internet using app that would even bring up the option to connect) merely having my WiFi enabled can infect my iPhone and can help spread whatever worm it is to other networks.

I know this sounded like BS to me (knowing the little I do regarding the application of viruses and their affect on the iPhone), but I'm always a bit paranoid and usually I would have wiped my phone and just restored a backup, but having just arrived back into town I have info on my phone I haven't yet backed up.

So if any kind person here would be able to give me a straight answer on this, I'd be most appreciative. As I said before, I know little on this subject, but it seems pretty unreliable what they told, but I don't want to risk possibly spreading anything to my own personal wifi network.

2. MicroApple macrumors regular

No you won't have any viruses. The iPhone can't get apps unless through the AppStore (unless jailbroken) and the only way to distribute a virus is through a app. Even then a WiFi link couldn't install a app. So your fine.

However be careful with any PC's connecting to this WiFi link it might be that some links are being routed to malicious sites so I would still be careful with PC's however your iPhone and iPad will be fine.

3. greenday123 macrumors 6502

I don't think you would be able to get a virus unless you were connected to the network, that is to even say that the virus could do anything to the iPhone, but I'm not an expert on viruses..

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's a Mac OS, so no, there's virtually no chance of getting a virus (no one has yet got one onto a Mac).

5. MunchenEconomic thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent help thank you. Whatever the guy was trying to tell me was that the wireless network may have tried to transplant some kind of .dll file in my phone that would execute. I assumed it would work in the way as it would save in the folder with all the process files in the iphone and would execute when it would be plugged into a PC. But as I said, I'm pretty sure that's more than a bit untrue.

6. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Thats why my IT dep't loves me. Every other person who uses their laptop at work, they have to set up so much protection software on their laptops with windows os's. When I bring my MacBook in, they just smile and thank me for not making them do all that security/virus checker install work! haha

7. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

ALLL computers linux, windows, OSX, can get a virus. OSX can easier then windows because they dont take viruses serious like windows does. Also there are just soo many windows are out there, why not go for whats the majority so windows ends up looking like the bad guy with viruses. APPLE better watchout as more macs will mean more security and virus issues.

8. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

...And there's where his reasoning went awry. iOS and OS X don't use DLLs, which are Windows constructs.

Those poor souls with Windows Mobile 6, on the other hand... :D

9. MicroApple macrumors regular

Your right but it still wont work with Windows Mobile 6 unless it was specifically targeted for it (most viruses aren't) no no even Windows Mobile wouldn't be affected.