Inferior Screens as Replacements SCAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by salvator, Dec 9, 2015.

1. salvator macrumors regular

I recently heard a speculation from an engineer at an AASP that apple sends out inferior parts as screen replacements meaning all the parts that are available for screen replacement for the retina macbook pros suffer from backlight bleed, unevenness and ghosting?

He claimed they do this so people in turn buy new products and don't get their screens replaced.

He also mentioned that I should exchange my product for a new one and pay the balance price. He would provide me with a good discount.

I found this to be a little absurd.

Has anyone out here gone through a screen replacement and can they vouch for the same?
    The screen being defect free

2. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Sounds more like bollocks to drive his own sales. Go to an Apple store rather than an authorised third party and get their opinion.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Parts supplied by Apple are provided with a 90 day warranty for defects. If you get a bad part, Apple will replace it.
    The service parts come from the same suppliers that made the new parts. And, likely come off the same line, so you could get the odd defect from new or service parts.

I suspect that your "engineer at an AASP" was more likely a "salesman at an AASP" who is trying to get you to purchase a new system, rather than repair the old. Not sure why, unless that AASP is having real struggles with Apple's often tenuous relationship with third party service providers, and is just venting in your presence.
    Or, was this "engineer" just another customer (not an employee), sharing opinions with whoever they could get to listen.

4. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

a few years ago, i had a friend who's macbook pro died about 2 weeks after applecare ran out. he took it to a local shop for repair (NOT apple), and asked them to check for a 'timer, or similar device' that would kill the mac precisely after the warranty ran out (they didn't find anything). love these stories... :D

5. salvator thread starter macrumors regular

There is no Apple Store in my country.

No definitely an engineer.
    What happened was when I approached him for the screen replacement, I shared with him my concerns of ending up with a screen that has a defect (unevenness,backlight bleed etc) as this had already occurred with me with my previous machine.
    When I shared my concerns with him, he then came up with this theory and since I had a similar incident in the past I almost believed it but began wondering, why would apple toxicate their supply chain, it is an unnecessary loss to them.

But he said it in a pretty convincing way. If he was a salesman, he would be a hell of a one!

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd be finding a different AASP then. The "engineer" you spoke with was trying to sell you a new computer instead of repairing the one you have.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Right so Apple deliberately pollute their WARRANTY parts supply chain, directly leading to multiple WARRANTY actions in the belief that eventually the customer decides to buy a new macbook.

Does that add up to you? Thought not.

8. salvator thread starter macrumors regular

Well I know that sounds ridiculous...... I guess I believed it because I myself have gone through 3 replacements with my previous machine and all of them were somewhat inferior.
    Guess the engineer realized that nick and tried to sell me on a new machine.

Has anyone out here gone through a screen replacement,successfully?

9. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

If you don't have an Apple Store to go to, have you tried calling Apple themselves & telling them whats happening? They will probably be able to help you further and (hopefully) investigate the retailer that's causing you the issues.

10. salvator thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I did and guess what they told me, go to an AASP :/

11. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

12. salvator thread starter macrumors regular

India

13. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

14. salvator thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I have but all the AASP get their parts from one Apple Warehouse.
    So I don't know what difference would that make plus this is the closest one near to my home.