Infinite Restart Problem

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ChainsawAsh, Jan 7, 2008.

1. ChainsawAsh macrumors newbie

I posted this on the official Apple forums as well, but I felt I may get a more speedy response here as I've used the Apple forums for problems previously and never got an answer at all, much less a helpful one.

I went to sync my 80 GB iPod Video to my MacBook Pro's iTunes, and it didn't recognize it - the icon never showed up on the desktop and iTunes never recognized it, even though the iPod itself said "Do Not Disconnect." This has happened before, so I did what I always do in this situation: unplug it, switch USB ports, and reset my iPod before plugging it in again.

So I went to resent my iPod (HOLD on/off, then menu + select), and now it's stuck on an infinite loop of resetting. The Apple logo will appear, the hard drive will try to spin up, and then it'll shut off and do it all over again. My computer won't recognize it, and I can't do anything with it physically - no resetting or anything.

I let the battery drain completely, plugged it into my computer's USB port again, and it never started up completely - the Apple logo shows up, and it restarts again without the computer ever recognizing it, again in an infinite loop.

I'm completely lost - what the hell is going on, and what can I do?!

2. Canerican macrumors regular

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I think you need to let the battery charge for a long while (especially if you completely drained it) in order for it to have enough power to spin the HD and let the computer recognize it.

The last time I drained my pod completely the same think happened to me so I let it charge from the wall over night, then synced it and it was seen on my desktop.

Good luck.

4. ChainsawAsh thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem with that is, if I plug it in to recharge, it only charges it just enough to let it restart itself about 3 times before it's completely drained again. You're probably right, and I'll probably have to take it to an Apple store ... I just dread the hour-and-a-half train ride to Chicago without an iPod.

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Didn't understand that before...so yeah, looks like it gets to go the the doc.
    Best of luck.