"Infinite" space on a "teathered" touch.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by cwolves, Nov 6, 2007.

1. cwolves macrumors regular

I'm using my touch as a media player for my TV and I wanted more drive space, so this is what I did. This is very technical and I'm not providing more explanation at this time (sorry), but if you know what you're doing and this is useful to you:

- I ported mount_nfs to the touch
    - I mounted my desktop drive on the touch
    - I changed the symlink of /var/root/Media/ to be on the mounted drive
    - I copied the contents of the original Media directory to the new one (minus the F00-->F## folders, I just emptied these)
    - The iPod now shows 223 GB of free space through iTunes
    - I sync'd about 50GB of movies to the touch

To get the original media directory back just revert the symlink (I just wrote a script to do either).

It plays perfectly over the wireless connection. I'm trying to figure out how to easily sync the files without having to copy them...I might have to make "fake" video files to do this and then move the files on the desktop.

In theory it would be possible to just symlink one of the F## directories and move all your remote content in there. The content would only play when you're connected to your local network but you wouldn't have to change the symlink back and forth. I'm not sure how to get iTunes to put files specifically into this directory, however, or how to get it NOT to put other files in there. I might have to manually change the iTunesDB file and make an F50 directory. iTunes shouldn't touch that at all.

2. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

That's pretty sweet! I guess the advantage of this over old methods using Safari is that it allows you to use the regular iPod interface for browsing/selecting media?

3. cwolves thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, quicktime through safari kept dying on me when I would try and play a long movie, even when it was physically on the touch. I'd have to try to start it a dozen times, it would lock the touch, etc...