Inflated Verizon data counting?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by randymac88, Mar 22, 2012.

1. randymac88 macrumors regular

I noticed the other day that after turning through a handful of web pages, watching a video, and using a few apps, I had churned through an astounding 577MB of data. This seemed like an outrageous figure to me, but I went with it.

So I installed a Data Monitor app yesterday, and did a little test. The data monitor app showed that I used 24.9MB since. However, Verizon showed that I used 47MB. Hmmmmm.

Anyone else seeing anything a little funny?

2. TheMiz macrumors member

I swear they rip us off. You think I should go AT&T? I am getting an iPad Saturday. I live in the Philly area.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

First of all, "watching a video" can mean a lot of things. If you were watching a cat playing the piano on YouTube then 577MB sounds excessive, if it was a movie on Netflix or something similar, then it's not inappropriate.

4. MarkG21 macrumors regular

What does your cellular usage say in your iPad settings?

5. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I streamed a 40 minute TV show from Netflix the other day and according to the DataMan app, it consumed just over 500MB of data. The data usage shown by Verizon showed roughly the same. On the iPad 2, I was seeing the same amount of data used for this activity on AT&T. I'm guessing when Netflix starts allowing HD streaming in the app, this is going to skyrocket. I'm hoping they offer an SD/HD toggle like they do in the desktop browser.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Choose whichever gives you better coverage.

Neither company is gonna buy you dinner before f'ng you.

7. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I am in Philly area as well and I have At&t for my iPhone. However when I got the new iPad I got VZW for the sole reason that they have good LTE coverage in this area, and At&t does NOT. Fastest At&t coverage in this area is going to HSPA+ which can be slightly faster the 3G, but in my experience in this area, not much. I don't use ton of cellular data as I am mostly in a wifi environment. I haven't even activated the 4G yet, but I refuse to pay for data on anything slower then LTE. Not sure if they are ripping people off, but i will be able to tell. I've had my iPhone since launch day and I am just hitting the 2g mark (1.8g). I am going to do a few tests with both the iPhone on At&t and the VZW pad. If I see double, or triple the data being used on the pad, I will know something is up.

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Haha. This made my morning. :)

9. TheMiz macrumors member

Haha dinner. Thats great. I have a Verizon iPhone 4S. But to think of it I will only be using the 4G on the iPad during the summer when I go down the shore. Wildwood NJ to be exact.

10. randymac88 thread starter macrumors regular

It was a cat playing with an ipad, actually. Not a Netflix movie.

11. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Have you called Verizon and asked them why you get 2 different numbers? More than likely it's just data that was used early that hadn't counted yet, I think some iPhone users on AT&T were experiencing this too.

12. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Ha awesome!!!!

I'm in the same boat,in Philly. My fiance has AT&T and only gets HSPA+, so I'm getting the VZW iPad for sure. If I'm going to pay for data I want it to be fast.

BTW if you're not pleased with the amount you spend on your mobile service, buy shares of the company. That way when you're getting f-ed, you're actually doing the ****** as well. ;) And if you buy enough shares, the dividends may pay for a larger data plan. :rolleyes: