Influx of Mac Pros?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by supercooled, Jan 12, 2008.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

I was expecting an influx of old Mac Pros with the release of the Harpertown MPs this week. Marketplace isn't exactly buzzing with people offloading theirs. Local forums like Craigslist as well (scams notwithstanding).

I'm not sure what the general consensus is regarding buying old versus new but the topic of the Harpertown discussed to death, is it really worth the extra coins to upgrade for most people? I guess with the little to none existent sale ads people are not upgrading in droves. Or, is it possible the mass exodus will happen later rather than sooner? I'm looking for a deal, possibly $1,500 for an old Mac Pro if that's at all possible.

Any ideas on this strategy? Thanks.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

They will come I'm sure. Worth baring in mind anyone selling a MP to buy new and wanting the 8800GT might be holding off listing their system due to delay.

Then we have the main issue which is that the number of Mac Pro owners who are going to sell to buy new is probably very, very few. I'm sure there will be some who trade up to a newer machine, but I'm not sure you are going to find one easily for your $1500 price. That is a fairly large financial hit to take. You are also more likely to find someone selling a system with extras like more memory and hard drives for a higher price if they are trading up for more power, unless they are splitting the extras off in to other sales.

3. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Personally i run my Macs as long as i can before upgrading, and then will use my old machine as a second work station, (email/internet etc) I find it to much of a $$$ loss by the time i have added extra ram, drives etc, to sell of a machine after 2 years.

Where i work, they will run machines until they die or they need to upgrade the hardware to accommodate new software before they replace them.

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I don't think with the release of the new Mac Pros, that they made the older ones 'obsolete' like some other releases.

The old ones, even the 4 core models, are still killer machines. And unless you NEED the extra cores or the newer video cards, they will last people a long time.

Most people, like myself, already dropped at least $2500 not more than 17 months ago. To turn around and drop atleast $2799....that's pricey.

-Kevin

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I'd love to sell our old G5 PowerMac at work to get the new MP. But to say I can't justify it is a huge understatement.

6. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

my G5 DP2.7 is still a killer machine , i would love to upgrade to a new MacPro, but simply cant justify the outlay for home use.