Info about the iPhone 4 availability in Hong Kong.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Twenty5, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Twenty5 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I know that some of you are thinking of purchasing an iPhone 4 in Hong Kong. So this post is let some of you know what its going on with both the official release and the gray market release of the iPhone 4 in Hong Kong.

The whole purpose of this post is to provide information. Nothing else. If any of you have questions feel free to leave them here and I will try my best to answer them. :)

-Official iPhone 4 release: The iPhone 4 is set to officially release in Hong Kong in the mid-end of July timeframe. Both Smartone/Vodafone and 3HK will have the handset for sale with a monthly plan. One thing to note here is that the official release date may be pushed away to early-mid august due to the high demand worldwide. Prices wise they are going to be priced the same as in the US but data plans and monthly fees will obviously vary.

You will also be able to purchase an iPhone 4 in select Authorized Apple retailers around Hong Kong; but when I asked for a specific timeframe for release they all told me: sometime September. :(

The Hong Kong Apple Online store will also have the iPhone 4 for sale.

Official iPhone 4s are also factory unlocked.

-iPhone 4 Gray Market release: Today I went to many cell phone shopping malls around the Mong Kok area and most stores had the iPhone 4 for sale. They did not have it for sale right away mind you, they were just taking preorders and letting people know that the they will have iPhone 4s by next morning. These iPhones come directly from the UK (where the phones come factory unlocked, meaning that you can use them wherever you are in the world). Prices are outrageously expensive. They are selling the 16GB model for around 9,000 HK Dollars (~1150 US$) and 10,000 (~1200 US$) HK Dollars for the 32GB model. Both available only in black.

The main reason why these are so expensive its because people who got the phones in the UK had to buy them with a 2 year plan/contract and then cancel/terminate them. So they had to pay all 2 years of service plus price of the iPhone 4 itself.

All stores had June 26th as the Official Gray Market release date.

-Microsim availability: no carrier in Hong Kong currently offers the micro sim. I asked both Smartone/Vodafone and 3HK, they both told me that they will have Micro Sims when the iPad becomes available for official release (which is soon). So once they become available you can just go and ask for a micro sim card.

Hope that this will help someone! :eek: :apple:

2. deckwalker macrumors member

Any idea on availability now?

Thanks for the original post.

I'm going to Hong Kong tomorrow and would love to be able to pick up a phone. Do you have any idea if they're sold out in the Apple Store or not?

edit: sorry, thought that there was an Apple store, but I see there isn't. I'll go to a reseller.

3. jackdj macrumors newbie

next week my friends from italy going to HONG KONG to holiday!!! i want to say when he can buy 2 Iphone 4 for me...

Thanks!!!

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I walked past the reseller in the IFC mall yesterday, and the one in Aberdeen today and both were advertising the phones heavily. What I haven't been able to find here is a decent supply of cases to choose from!

5. jackdj macrumors newbie

but he only sold through subscriptions telephone or you can just buy the phone?

6. MariaAsaad macrumors newbie

Hey.
    I'm going to Hong Kong tomorrow as well.
    and I'm planning to buy a couple of iPhones too.
    And i'm wondering if one of you here can help me by giving me the locations of the places i can find them in.

I'd be really glad.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Unfortunately it looks like there is a 2-3 week wait list in HK for iphones just like everywhere else in the world. I tried to find one with a co-worker last Sunday and that was what we found. Some places will sell it only with a contract, too. The DG Lifestyle store in the Financial Center will sell it without contract, but they too had a wait.