Info about Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tomegun, Mar 10, 2009.

1. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me a little bit about Time Capsule.

I have a Dell PC, a 20" iMac, 2 Dell Laptops (my wife's), a (Unibody) MacBook and two iPhones. Right now I'm using a Belkin N+ Router. I was considering a HP Home server.

I'm wondering if Time Capsule would be a better router for me and generally if it will be a better alternative for me than what I have. I'm about to move from a one-story to a two-story house.

2. JustinK101 macrumors newbie

Love my Time Capsule. Here are the pluses of the networking features:

Static IP Assigns via Mac
    Backup The Entire Config/Settings
    Run Both 802.11a/n + 802.11 b/g/n simultaneously
    Open Ports For Certain IPS
    Over WAN Config

Probably the sweetest feature of the Time Capsule though is being able to add external drives onto it via USB. Here is what I am doing:

Basically what I did is attached a 500gb external drive to my Time Capsule (Running Wireless Dual Mode 802.11a/n + 802.11 b/g/n) via USB. Then, I copied my current iTunes music folder (only the iTunes Music folder, gotta leave the other files and folders on the local computer from the root iTunes folder) to the 500gb external drive. Then went into iTunes and updated the preferences to store music in the new location on the 500gb external drive.

Now, all client computers can access the same global library WIRELESSLY on the network storage of the 500gb drive. This is very cool. You could have 10 macs/pcs all accessing one central iTunes storage library via WiFi, no cables, no ********. In addition, when additional music is added, all clients get access to the new music instantly. Basically just have to configure the clients to NOT store music locally, point their preferences music folder to the 500gb external drive.

3. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

So what do you do when you want to take your laptop out of the house? If your iTunes library is on an external drive, doesn't that mean you have no music if you aren't at home?

How is the range on Time Capsule? I was doing some research and some articles said the router I have is still one of the best as far as range and throughput, but I'm wondering if a new router with simultaneous dual-band would benefit me.

4. JustinK101 macrumors newbie

tomegun,

As it stands now, correct I have no music when I am not home. Though the Time Capsule can be setup to allow remote (WAN) connections, thus allowing me to connect to the Time Capsule anywhere in the world.

Range is good. Also, the great thing is, if you ever need to extend the range you can simply buy AirPorts and plug them into the wall as needed.

5. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

I'm reading other threads that seem to indicate a problem with the wireless router part of TC. However, I think most of those posts are talking about the old TC.

I'm just thinking about getting a new router AND a home server versus getting a TC. The TC solution would be cheaper overall, but I want to have wireless range.

Also, does TC have more than one port on the back?

6. klooney macrumors regular

Has I think 4 LAN ports and 1 USB however, you can hook a usb hub to it and connect multiple usb items (hard drives, printers, etc.).

7. jayrobinson macrumors newbie

jayrobinson

@JustinK101 This sounds like a neat solution for one iTunes library for my girlfriend and I, instead of updating hers all the time.

Some questions: Would it be possible for us both to be able to listen to music on our respective MacBooks at the same time? Sync our iPhones, download podcasts, create playlists at the same time? It seems like it might cause some issues, i.e. if one person is using iTunes, the others cannot.

I'd be interested to see how you've handled this.

8. JustinK101 macrumors newbie

@jayrobinson,

I haven't actually tried two clients connecting via iTunes at the same time to the network iTunes library, but I would suspect very highly that it works. Mainly because ONLY the songs themselves are stored on the network drive. The actual library xml, album artwork, and iTunes library files are still stored locally on each persons computer. So, basically the iTunes clients are merely reading from the network drive, with the exception of deleting files from the library, which I am sure it simply puts a lock on that file until it is deleted.

One thing that kind of sucks, is there is a bit of lag sometimes, it seems to be caused by the network drive attached to my time capsule going to sleep, and when I fire up iTunes I hear it starting and spinning up, which takes a few seconds. Other than that, sometimes iTunes still seems to lag, though there is no skipping on playback, just a bit of sluggish iTunes interface speed.