Info: EyeTV DTT mpeg2 to dvd without re-encoding using free software

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pizzacake, May 12, 2007.

1. pizzacake macrumors member

I have an EyeTV v2.4 for DTT Digital Terrestrial Television. EyeTV records the DVB stream unaltered, so you’re getting full quality DTT content as encoded by the broadcaster. I wanted to burn this mpeg2 content straight onto dvd without unnecessarily re-encoding the mpeg2 files and losing quality and time.
    Some options included:
    Toast - can burn mostly without re-encoding and accept non-standard resolutions but costs $80
    iDVD - files will require re-encoding losing quality.
    DVD Studio Pro - Just kidding $1200!!!
    FFmpegX or MPEG2 Works - shareware but might do the job
    Burn v1.71 - free and does not re-encode therefore lossless :D however some non-standard resolutions cause problems

So here is how I burn EyeTV files into DVD format losslessly using Burn.
    1. Export Recording as MPEG Program Stream
    2. In Burn preferences under video select Force remuxing MPEG2 external streams
    3. Select Video tab of Burn making sure DVD is selected as type and change untitled to what you want the DVD to be called
    4. Add EyeTV mpeg file/s. At this point Burn will ask to save the remuxed mpeg2 file somewhere, make sure you give it a different name to the original.
    5. The order of the files determine the order they'll play on your DVD. Each file will get a chapter point however Burn does not create any menus.
    6. Burn or save as disc image if you want to test the DVD in DVD player first.

Hope this helps, thanks to the authors of Burn.
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21992/burn

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Just followed the same method but unfortunately the result is squashed, any ideas? Before and after below:

Attached Files:

4. pizzacake thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I'm not having any problems with 16:9 material. What are you playing back the DVD with? I'm using Apple DVD Player.
    Here is the EyeTV file playing in EyeTV.
    [​IMG]
    Here it is made into a DVD playing in DVD Player.
    [​IMG]

5. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

What do you mean it does not re-encode?

Step 4 of you instructions:

[​IMG]

And it takes a very long time to re-encode...

6. pizzacake thread starter macrumors member

"DVD-Video disks use either 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio MPEG-2 video, mostly stored at a resolution of 720×480 (NTSC) or 720×576 (PAL)"

I think the problem is some broadcasters are choosing to use 544 x 576 instead of 720 x 576. You can check this in the dialog box at stage 1.Export Recording as MPEG Program Stream. I didn't realise broadcasters did this until wakerider017 signalled a problem. I think its because broadcasters are trying to squeeze in as many channels as possible on each multiplex by reducing quality. DAB radio has suffered a similar fate with many stations using low bit rates.

Sadly, that does mean that some recordings might have to be re-encoded but that is because the broadcaster has chosen to use lower resolutions.:(

Some discussions regarding the problem:

Toast 8 EyeTV Encoding speed
    http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=15439&hl=

Resize video without re-encoding
    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t322333.html

DVD-R - burning MPG to a DVD
    http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive61-2006-2-276482.html

Poor picture quality
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=9509467

On a happy note the majority I've recorded are in the correct res, especially films :D

btw You know when Burn is happy with the file because it won't say encoding instead the dialog box will say remuxing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video
    Resolution
    The typical video resolution for an NTSC disc is 720 × 480, while a PAL disc is 720 × 576. The specifications for video files on a DVD can be any of the following:
    Up to 9.8 Mbit/s (9800 kbit/s) MPEG-2 video
    Up to 1.856 Mbit/s (1856 kbit/s) MPEG-1 video
    PAL:
    720 × 576 pixels MPEG-2 (Called full D1)
    704 × 576 pixels MPEG-2
    352 × 576 pixels MPEG-2 (Called Half-D1, same as the China Video Disc standard)
    352 × 288 pixels MPEG-2
    352 × 288 pixels MPEG-1 (Same as the VCD Standard)
    NTSC:
    720 × 480 pixels MPEG-2 (Called full D1)
    704 × 480 pixels MPEG-2
    352 × 480 pixels MPEG-2 (Called Half-D1, same as the China Video Disc standard)
    352 × 240 pixels MPEG-2
    352 × 240 pixels MPEG-1 (Same as the VCD Standard)

7. pizzacake thread starter macrumors member

eyetv recordings to dvd (update)

I've found that the only reliable way to make DVDs out of EyeTV files is to fix the EyeTV files in MPEG Streamclip. Sadly this requires the Quicktime MPEG plugin. When you edit out commercials etc in EyeTV files you need to fix the timecode of the file using MPEG Streamclip. Getting rid of extra audio channels also fixes many problems.

software required:
    quicktime mpeg plugin (not free :()
    eyetv
    toast/burn etc
    mpeg streamclip

•toast/burn can handle eyetv files without re-encoding if they have standard resolutions or normal gops.
    •If this is not the case find the eyetv file in the finder, right click the file to show package contents.
    •Open the mpg in mpeg streamclip.
    •fix the timecode. (if you cannot try editing the file in eyetv knock a frame off either side then try fixing the timecode again)
    •demux to m2v and m1a (get rid of extra audio channels which cause problems)

THEN TRY
    •open m2v in streamclip and convert to mpeg
    •drag the resulting file to toast, save as disc image it should burn without re-encoding

ELSE
    •if toast rejects the mpeg then
    •open the mpeg in streamclip
    •convert to TS...
    •drag the resulting file to toast, save as disc image it should burn without re-encoding

ELSE
    •the following might work with some files
    •Convert to headed mpeg (mpeg streamclip rewrites the non standard headers to look like legit ones for dvds)
    •drag into toast
    •if toast rejects then
    •open the headed mpeg in streamclip
    •convert to TS...