General Info from Jay Freeman (Saurik) detailing the issue with iOS6 SHSH with incomplete apt

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dhlizard, Apr 9, 2013.

1. dhlizard, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Info from Jay Freeman (Saurik) detailing the issue with iOS6 SHSH with incomplete apticket

http://www.saurik.com/id/15

Update: This has been added to Cydia's home page also

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very good read.
    Everyone should check it out.

3. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Yeah good read but sad. If anything goes wrong with my jailbreak for my 5, I am sunk cause I won't be able to restore without upgrading...oh well. I knew I should have continued using Tiny Umbrella, just didn't for whatever reason.

4. clockworkorange macrumors regular

So sad, but this should've been expected at some point.

Manually backup your SHSHs People!

(Out of the 2 backups of iOS 6 I made, 1 of then is invalid, the other is ok, so I'm good for iOS 6)

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    I manually backed them up using Tinyumbrella and Redsnow along with cydia.
    So figured 3 is better than relying on 1 backup.
    Oh, I copied them over to a USB drive too:)

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Oops, I didn't manually back mine up.

Oh well, I doubt they'll find a downgrade method for the iPhone 5 using valid blobs before they release a new jailbreak, anyways.

Would be a different story if blobs were actually useful at present for newer devices.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its always better being prepared than sorry:)
    It would be wonderful if they come out with a way I can use my blobs to keep restoring my i5 to 6.1 any time I want. I will never update it unless there's a JB available:D

8. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

from what I gathered from the article, the reason why restoring to a custom firmware is so hard now is because saurik is no longer acting as the "middle man" due to server costs? can someone help confirm this?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, its not the cost but its Apple that shuts down or blocks requests made by a particular server to try to pull millions of devices shsh blobs with multiple requests.
    That's why every time there's a new firmware we plug in our iphone and use Tinyumbrella/redsnow/ifaith to pull those blobs ourselves and that also saves a copy on our computer hard drive and submits a copy to cydias server for later use.
    And with those tools you don't need to be on 6.1.3 for example to get blobs for it if you're still on 6.0.1
    Only takes a few minutes so if you value your JB you should make time to get them for future use.

10. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

no, i meant that for iOS 4, all we had to do was point the host file to cydia's server and the restore will get validated. We didn't even need to stitch any blob to the firmware as long as cydia had our shsh files
    We no longer do that, whether it's re-restores or restore to a custom firmware, it's always pointed at apple now and stitching the shsh to the firmware

and saurik said he can no longer act as the "man in the middle" and i was curious why this changed after iOS 4

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh I see.
    That's a change/improvement on security that Apple made with ios 5.
    When the APT ticket came into play.

12. regkilla macrumors 6502

regkilla

Saved the SHSH blobs for iOS 6.1.2 using TinyUmbrella. My iPhone 5 will be covered when downgrading becomes possible.

13. rak007 macrumors 6502a

Backing up using the cydia app iSH**** and emailing to yourself is a good option ?

14. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

That would work, make sure it's pointed to apple's server. But getting shsh blobs for iOS versions that cannot get jailbroken is not very helpful

15. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

I hope someone out there is working on a way to downgrade!! I'm stuck on 6.1.3 with my new iPhone 5 dumb phone..:eek:

16. dhlizard thread starter macrumors G4

dhlizard

I honestly don't think there will be any chance of downgrading newer devices.

17. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Yea really sucks, its like Apple treats us like children, no control over our own devices..

18. TC25, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

TC25 macrumors 68020

Original thought. Here's another one. You want 'control over our own devices' without having to wait for a jb, buy an Android.

Plus, jb gives us control over our own devices all it requires is, occasionally, not running the most current version of iOS.

Also, read all the threads from newbies who screw up their devices because it's so easy to jb these days. That's why Apple doesn't give us 'control over our own devices'.

As you mature, you'll understand the value in not complaining over the things you have little or no control over.

19. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I honestly think the only viable way we're ever going to be able to freely up/downgrade is if we can bypass iTunes in the restoration process, how viable that will ever be - I don't know.

20. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

I just may.
    No ****, until the phone freezes up and you have to restore to use it.
    Try not to pass off your opinions as facts..

Really? That's quite an immature and naive statement..

21. TC25 macrumors 68020

You cause this problem by installing crap jb apps. Deal with it.

They're facts. It's irrelevant whether you accept them.

Thanks for proving my point.

22. King Bowser macrumors regular

I have a question.

I saved using TinyUmbrella on an old laptop but it died. Does TinyUmbrella have a server or something that has saved it or am I **** out of luck ?

23. Brian Y macrumors 68040

No, it can request from Cydia, but doesn't save to it.

----------

Every point he made was perfectly valid. Plus, if you install OpenSSH, you can recover from a failure 99.9% of the time provided you haven't installed extensions that modify files rather than use mobilesubstrate. And even then, it's not *impossible* to restore.