Info from Verizon about plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jekjones1558, Jan 16, 2011.

1. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

I called Verizon today to see if they have a date for official release of calling/data plan details. No date provided. I was told that plans will be the same as current Verizon smartphones, including unlimited data, but was told that the unlimited may not be available later. I was also told that the $70 1 year contract surcharge option would be available. I do not need 700 shared minutes/month and was told that a loyalty plan allows me to call after the first month and I would be able to get a calling plan for $10 less per month. I asked about any possible bundling of iPad/iPhone plans for a better rate and was told that they have not heard of anything like that being on the horizon. I also was told I could call on Feb. 9 to get everything in place and I would get free overnight shipping for Feb. 10.
    None of this is anything new but I think that as more and more people get similar info the odds increase that the info is correct.

2. 1999ncsu macrumors newbie

I was wondering if there would be a 1 year contract option. Thanks!:)

3. Civicsixxx macrumors member

So it'll only cost $70 more to sign a 1 year contract instead? That seems like a pretty good deal.

I'd rather get the iPhone 4 now and skip whatever comes out in June (if VZW does indeed get it) and then be ready for the next iteration, which will likely include LTE.

4. jekjones1558 thread starter macrumors 6502

ITA. It seems too good to be true but this same info regarding the 1 year contract has been previously posted, so maybe it will turn out to be true. I surely hope so.

5. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

If the part about the extra $70 is true for the 1 year contract, then I'll be very happy. If I renew a 2 year contract this February, then I'll only be able to upgrade at discounted pricing in September/October of 2012. If this coming summer brings only small changes to the phone, I won't bother upgrading out of contract, but the few months between the 2012 update in the summer and September/October would probably drive me crazy, if I wasn't able to get the phone at release. This 1 year contract would make me feel much happier, having my contract end before the 2012 iteration is released.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt they will do the 1 year term for $70 extra.
    Nobody will lock into 2 year agreements is that was available. It's a no brainer.
    Why get tied up to 2 years and pay $200 for early upgrade on next years model if you can do it for $70.

7. JSK1121 macrumors member

Time value of money? Maybe $70 isn't enough, but Verizon would be hard-pressed to turn down a $100 premium now for a 1-year contract and then have the user either re-up for a 1-year again (and another $100) next year or do the two year at regular price.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes but that user won't have to re-up next year. They will also have the option to leave.
    It's interesting to see how it plays though.
    My guess is they might do the same as AT&T. 2 year options only with early upgrade offers in a year.

9. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

I'm gonna guess and say the one year option will be more like $100-150, to deter more people from taking that route. It'll still be good enough for me to take it though, as I want that 1 year upgrade cycle.

10. JSK1121 macrumors member

They will have the option to leave, but Verizon has always offered a 1-year option and they're the largest carrier in the country. It seems odd that they'd shake things up just because of the iPhone.

11. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

IDK, they do the 1 year contract for Android devices, and those devices aren't any less expensive. I think they will. I don't see verizon having SPECIAL plans for the iPhone.

12. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

They also do BOGO's for these android devices and I'm pretty sure iPhone's won't be part of that deal. Also, no Verizon branding on the iPhone. 1 year contracts seem possible but I won't truly believe it until Verizon announces it.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

14. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Yeah how great would that be?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

16. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

The Verizon spokeswoman on new devices has publicly stated there would be a one year contract, in addition to responding to directly to me over twitter that there would be. So, while not quite official, I'd say it's highly likely she's not putting bad info out there as the spokeswoman for the company.

17. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Yeah, it's highly doubtful. Android devices are like low class alcohol. You find BOGO's all the time on like Smirnoff. You'll never find BOGO deals on Cristal champagne (iPhone). :D

18. icyfire macrumors 6502

+1

Another thing to consider is that for the first time since the Motorola Razr, Verizon is in direct competition with AT&T re: selling an identical model phone. That throws a whole new twist on things and may cause Verizon (and AT&T) to change up how they price/market the phone. Keeping a 1 year contract might attract more people and will keep phones moving every year since market analysts will now be comparing who is selling more iPhones.

19. mpossoff macrumors 68020

This is off subject but my wife and kids went to the mall and went into the Verizon store cause our older son wants a Droid X but we are still in contract with Att. My wife told the rep we are still under contract. The rep happened to be the manager. My wife had him run a credit check and are eligible for up to 5 lines with no deposit. My wife was getting info cause she wants to cut our cell phone bill down.

Since we are still under contract the manager said he would give us a nice credit on first month bill.

Currently we have 1 iPhone 4 that is subject to the $325 ETF and 3 regular phones subject to the $175 ETF. The iPhone 4 is up 8/2012 and the 3 regular phones are up 8/2011.

Manager said he can come close to issuing a credit for the 3 regular phones and said I can sell my iPhone 4 to cover ETF.

20. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

That's nice of them, but you do know that it's $325 MINUS $10 for every month that is completed in the contract. So if youre contract is 1 year old, the ETF will only be $205. Just saying. You should be able to get 4-500 dollars for your iphone 4. More than enough to cover ALL the phones.

21. mpossoff macrumors 68020

There's 8 months left on 3 regular non smartphones @ $175'ish ETF. What's the total ETF for the 3?

I honestly never dreamed of switching carriers, we have been with ATT for YEARS. My wife is looking to cut down the bill and she said Verizon is less. I have to investigate it.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Verizon is not less. It's the most expensive carrier in the US.

23. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

What's even better about a one year plan is you get to upgrade after 10 months. I did that with my Droid X, not wanting to be locked into it for 2 years, waiting for the iPhone.

24. TimShady macrumors member

Are we the same person? I could have typed this myself.

If you could buy a 32GB iPhone for $370 on a 1-year contract, you could sell it outright for $370 a year later (give or take), and use that money to get a new subsidized 1-year iPhone (for $370). Rinse and repeat every year. Free iPhones for life!

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Well, not everyone desires a new upgrade every year