Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nygiants242

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Hi all,

I bought a Series 5 watch for my Dad and having a few frustrating issues with it. For example, when he opens the Stock app, the data/price of stocks is stale and not updated [interestingly, unless he happens to recently open the Stocks app on his phone which seems to ping at least "somewhat" recent information to the watch].

Clearly, the Watch seems unable to actually ping the phone for an update or refresh when it is updated.

Unlike mine (Series 4), where I can simply pull up the Stocks app (as normal) and it immediately refreshes the price and updates the chart.

This naturally makes me suspicious that this is causing issues and happening across a bunch of other apps, where the phone and watch are not communicating the latest-and-greatest info. I have already tried resetting both the phone and watch, and already unpaired/paired the watch as well.

Anything else I should/could do? Thank you in advance

pete480

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Long Island, NY
I just got the series 5 and some of my complications don’t update automatically. If I open the app from the complication, I will have to manually refresh it.

nygiants242

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
^I’ve had a similar issue of complications not updating (had that on my Series 4 as well)

However, what I am describing is also even when I open the Stocks app on his watch, it seems to “load” and then basically display dated stock prices and charts. So weird.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Mine had similar issues with notifications and other apps not updating properly. Turn off watch's wifi. Stick to Bluetooth only. There's some sort of handoff issue between wifi and bluetooth--if you get out of bluetooth range the watch connects to wifi like it should, but once back in range of phone refuses to go back to bluetooth and you get apps that won't update info, or Siri fails entirely, or Now Playing crashes and shows 'not playing' while playing back music from phone.

Reactions: CobraPA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.