Info On Canadian iPhone Holdup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Subculture, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Subculture macrumors newbie

** Disclaimer: I can't be anymore specific with the following information. I've written what I heard in its entirety. I won't be forthcoming in identifying the source for obvious reasons. When you hear "I shouldn't be telling you this..", you have to give the source a little bit of anonymity. **

-Apple REALLY wants to launch the iPhone in Canada.

-Apparently the holdup is entirely Rogers Communications. They aren't willing to offer the data plans that Apple wants (similar to the AT&T plans). Apple won't budge and wants to launch it on Apple's terms and in line with what they've done in other countries.

-Not surprisingly, the event in late February IS mainly a launching point for the iPhone SDK. This point is pretty "meh" as everyone already assumes that's what it's for.

-References were made to a much larger product/screen coming from Apple, more that 30", but no details were provided. Sounded like a product in the pipeline that may never see the light of day and/or be a long way off.

That's it. I was pretty disappointed to hear about the problems with Rogers, but not surprised.

2. Optimus Rhyme macrumors regular

It's pretty much been known that the problems with the iPhone coming to Canada is with Rogers for quite some time. It's an unfortunate thing, but at least we are able to get the iPhone working here at least.

With Rogers introducing new data plans this past week, it's a step in the right direction, even if the data doesn't apply to iPhones/Windows Mobile devices.

3. billabong macrumors 6502

I am getting so tired of hearing about iPhone coming to Canada. It seems like it's the same stuff over and over again. I've been told my numerous Rogers CSR's that it will launch in Feb, but today I asked and the CSR I was talking to said June. I just don't know what to believe anymore. I've wanted an iPhone since launch, but stupid rogers is so damn cheap they aren't willing to change. It seems like we will be the only country without the iPhone... But what can we do right?

4. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

just go buy a 1.1.3 iphone

then bring back to canada

costs like under 500 (422...if no duties)

use on rogers

and wait for decent data!

5. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Do this! It's the right thing to do!

And by right, I mean that rogers is obviously oblivious to the needs of people who want data and avoids it entirely. I thought that 7$ new unlimited plan was the solution, unfortunately it was not (Wap only). Anyhow, it's gotta come here eventually.

Does anyone know when Telus is switching to GSM? Maybe if its soon they'll beat rogers to the iPhone.

6. graymccarty macrumors member

graymccarty

I remember reading somewhere that they'll have the network fully operational by the 2010 Olympics - fantastic........... :eek:

Does anyone know the status of the trademark dispute in Canada over 'iPhone'? Haven't heard anything on that for a while now. Im assuming it's still an issue?

7. Surely Guest

Surely

We can move to the U.S. :D

8. billabong macrumors 6502

That would be great news, Rogers seems to think they are so high and mighty and not willing to drop there rates. If Telus switched to GSM and get the iPhone I would consider leaving old rogers.

9. domhnal macrumors newbie

domhnal

Rogers Sucks!!!

Lets hope that Telus goes GSM....I hate Rogers and their service in Eastern Canada SUCKS...to say the least.

Cheers

10. joshj09 macrumors newbie

I dont know about the rest of you, but I'm sick of waiting. I'm going to Buffalo next week to purchase to finally get an iPhone. if you wait for Rogers to lower their rates your going to be waiting a long time. They make way too much money off existing blackberry clients to even think about offering unlimited data at a reasonable rate.

I just wont wait any logner!

11. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

If Telus was to switch to GSM, somehow have GSM towers turned on immediately in major urban centres and announce that they are going to sell the iPhone, I'm sure Ted Rogers would have a heart attack then and there.

I have a $5 5mb data plan for my TyTn.. it's nice but I use Opera mini to make sure I don't go over my data allotment ever. However on the new $7 unlimited data plan doesn't cover Opera Mini, Gmail java app, or anything else, only covers the Rogers browser.. which is stupid.

I'll wait another two years until Rogers (or Telus if they somehow switch to GSM by then) for A carrier to finally release an iPhone in Canada

12. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

This is what I hate about Rogers and there data plans. It's fine by me if they don't want a customer because there to stupid to change there pricing. I'll just keep the phone I have now then with Bell.

13. rje macrumors regular

An insider at Rogers told me that Rogers wanted the iphone delivered without WiFi. Apple of course told them where they could go. That, apparently held things up in the early days of the device. I have no idea what the delay is now. Frankly, I'd love to see Apple come out with a CDMA iPhone and hand it to Telus. I'm using a brand new one on the Rogers network. I don't need to buy one from Rogers at a super inflated price.

14. juliuspleaser macrumors newbie

I love threads like this where people make up *****. The release issues are not with Rogers or with Apple. The issue is with ComWave, the company that owns the name Iphone in Canada. That are not willing to let Apple use the name in Canada without buying it from them for a retarded some of money (rumoured to be 50X more than what linksys was paid for the name in the states, and linksys wasn't a super small unknown company like comwave). Obviously Apple isn't willing to release the iPhone under another name.
    So until Comwave becomes more reasonable in their demands, the iPhone is in limbo for Canada.

15. rje macrumors regular

I'm glad you love threads like this because the information I posted about WiFi is 100% accurate. I'm not sure about what you posted. Nor should anybody be.

16. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I'm sure the problem stems from more than one source. The story about ComWave is true, however. It's on the CBC website:
    http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/10/11/tech-iphone-trademark.html

17. rje macrumors regular

I know it's true. I just reacted to the attitude. I apologize. The WiFi story is true. I work very closely with Rogers Wireless head office. Rogers wants that online capability all to itself. Apple refused to make a deal.