Info on current state of unlocking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GFLPraxis, Jun 29, 2010.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sorry to create a new thread on this; I've tried doing my own research, but keep finding conflicting data.

About a month and a half back, a family member broke her unlocked iPhone via water damage. We're on T-Mobile.

When I checked, I found that I couldn't unlock phones that had the 05.12.01 firmware. I understand that we now can. I'm looking to pick up a used 3G or 3GS off of Craigslist and unlock it for her.

What new issues arise with the release of iOS 4? I'm hearing things about SHSH codes needed to downgrade that I'm not familiar with. Will I be able to unlock a used 3GS running iOS 4?

Also, on my iPad, I noticed Cydia was giving me an option to save a machine identifyer (I'm guessing these SHSH codes I'm hearing about?), but I accidentally clicked the no button instead of yes (apparently, the buttons activate on Touch Down instead of Touch Up >_> ), and the option went away. How do I get that back?

Thanks for any assistance, and I apologize for having to ask; but searching was running me in circles.

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Pick one up that has not been updated to IOS4 you will have more options.

4. California King macrumors 65816

Great site! iClarified.com is also good too for tutorials.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'm just curious why people feel they need to start the new thread! rather then asking on one that's already started. you can still get conflicting info even on your own thread!;) any way the above sites are good sources a 3g is much easier to jb and unlock then a 3gs.

6. jamaggic macrumors member

7. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Interesting link. The current state of her iPhone (original iPhone) is that it will boot and make phone calls, but only when plugged in. When unplugged, it just reboots to the Apple logo and then turns off again, in a cycle.

If you plug it in, start it up, and unplug it, it'll continue working until the next time the screen turns off (by timer or pressing the sleep button).

Odd, huh?

I VERY much appreciate the jailbreak matrix link! Exactly what I needed! :)

Also, did anyone have an answer to this bit?

8. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Just download and run TinyUmbrella. I think it will even send it to Saurik's servers.