Info on jailbreaking 3.1.3 3Gs - old vs new bootrom

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Arisian, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Hey guys,

Figured if someone could answer this for me, would be useful for everyone.

I've done about 2 hours of searching and have come away with inconclusive answers. If someone could fill in the blanks, I'd be more than grateful- def. not a noob at this, just a lot of new info out there and quite a bit of it seems to be conflicting

1. How do you know if you have the new bootrom or the old bootrom- which is old, which is new. These numbers mean nothing w/o some reference.
    I used f0recast and got this screen.[​IMG]

2. Half the people are saying you need the SHSH on file, half say no need. Half say you need to downgrade to 3.1.2 to JB 4.0, others say no need

Ive been reading here, modmyi, and iphonehacks.com - I know better than to ask a question w/o searching :) You guys are vicious!

Also, f0recast says it's not unlockable -can someone explain to me, kindly, why that is at this point - My assumption is that once its JB that the new ultrasnow could unlock any baseband.

btw, the serial is : 88925xxxxxx

Thanks so much,
    Brian

Attached Files:

2. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

3. sadistichamster macrumors newbie

sadistichamster

After you determine whether it the old or new bootrom (I have a feeling in your case it will be the old bootrom) use this guide to jailbreak. It worked flawlessly for me and only really requires a little SSH into your phone.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=953073

4. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

thanks for the input guys. about another hour of google searching revealed I had the old bootrom, which is a good thing

That being said, I havent JB'd this particular iPhone (though Have done about 45 others).

I've avoided Spirit like the plague, not necessarily for good reasons, but I've heard that it can jake your phone up more easily than others and leave you stuck on a certain firmware/bootloader/baseband.

Can someone comment on the risks associated w/ performing the perviously mentioned process on my unJB'd/unadulterated iPhone 3Gs on 3.1.3

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks so much guys!

B

5. sadistichamster macrumors newbie

sadistichamster

In this case Spirit will not get you "stuck" on anything. In your case it seems Spirit is your key to JBing any OS 3.1.3+ using the link I posted a few posts up.

You should jailbreak and save your SHSH blobs to Cydia to ensure you have the freedom to restore to a earlier firmware should you have the need.

After you do this, you can restore to a custom 4.0 IPSW using Pwnagetool 4.0.1 then unlock your phone with ultrasnow.

There's really no reason not to.

6. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

I agree with you. Thanks for all the help

7. oren1 macrumors member

I do not know about the risks associated with spirit, it works just fine for me.

Do you know if your SHSH are backed up on Cydia?
    1. If you have version 3.1.2 or older SHSH backed up on Cydia you just need to downgrade and jb with pwnage tool or blackra1n, then you can restore to a custom firmware iOS4

2. If you have only 3.1.3 SHSH backed up, jb with spirit, and follow these instructions if you wish to upgrade to jailbroken iOS4:

3. If you don't have any SHSH backed up you can jb your current 3.1.3 with spirit, but you can't upgrade to a jailbroken iOS4...

If your iPhone is jailbroken (no matters if it's spirit, pwnage tool etc...) you can unlock with Ultrasn0w.
    Hope that helps.

8. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

quick question on this one.

seeing as how my 3.1.3 old bootrom is NOT jb'd at all, jailbreaking w/ spirit and saving my SHSH shouldn't prevent me from upgrading to a jailbroken iOS4, right?

It's a matter of the old/new bootrom vs not having current 3.1.2 SHSH on file - or am I incorrect in assuming so

My plan was to jb the 3.1.3 old BR w/ spirit and then follow the rest of the tutorial listed on how to upgrade to a jb/unlocked 4.0

9. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

No you shouldn't have any issues using a new JB for iOS4 when it's released, if you use Spirit now.

10. sadistichamster macrumors newbie

sadistichamster

I think you guys are confused. The OP can upgrade to 4.0 and jailbreak his phone right now following the instructions I linked to.

He does not need to wait because he has the old boot rom. I had this same problem and was able to finally jailbreak and mod the boot files to allow custom restores, thus allowing pwnagetool 4 to work.

11. oren1 macrumors member

You can't save 3.1.3 SHSH now, since apple stopped signing them.

If you're not sure if you SHSH are already saved, you can JB with spirit, launch Cydia, and check at the top "this device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS..."

If your SHSH are not saved, then there is no way for you to jb/unlock iOS4 right now.

As I said, if you have new bootrom, you can't JB iOS4 now at all (no matter if you have 3.1.3 or 3.1.3 SHSH stored on Cydia). If you have old Bootrom, you should at least have 3.1.3 SHSH stored on cydia to JB/Unlock iOS4.

12. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

It also carries a higher risk since he doesn't have a 3.1.3 SHSH on file. You are modding files on the iPhone - so if something goes wrong during that process, guess what? Stuck with a stock iOS4. No one is confused or said it wouldn't work.

13. sadistichamster macrumors newbie

sadistichamster

He's on 3.1.3 - he jailbreaks with Spirit than backs up his SHSH with Cydia before he mods the files.

No need for apple to sign the file. No risk.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

14. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

He's on 3.1.3 with a 3GS, it needs a validation. Since Apple is no longer signing them, he cannot back up that particular firmware to Saurik's servers. If something goes wrong he will only have iOS4 (Stock) available to him until a new JB is released.

15. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

No problem, that's what I have done. Im waiting to confirm that the SHSH are on file.

Honestly, I had my 3G on 4.0 and I just decided to get my new 3GS working on 3.1.3 and wait a bit. I'm not worried about proceeding, but I need to move on w/ things and this seems like the best way. Ill see what comes down the pipes in the next two weeks, but for now I need to start using my phone for what I bought it for... a phone.

Thanks for sticking w/ me guys and you cleared up quite a bit of the questions I was having - even through arguing with each other, the questions I had were being answered.

Thanks for making this such a great community.
    Brian

16. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

All you have to do to check, is open up cydia, at the top it will say "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS:" and list what (If any) is backed up.

17. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

And until that is done, it says " This device is waiting on a TTS/TSS request confirmation" - or something of that nature.