Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lo99tahoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
I'm interested in c++, should I switch to a Macbook Pro? I know this is a vague question, but I have other reasons why I want to switch.

Sander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2008
C++ programming is perfectly possible on Windows. In fact, to make native applications on the Mac, you'd be better off learning Objective-C.

If you have other reasons to switch, then by all means do!

lo99tahoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
C++ programming is perfectly possible on Windows. In fact, to make native applications on the Mac, you'd be better off learning Objective-C.

If you have other reasons to switch, then by all means do!

Would there be any benefits to switch solely to program?

toddburch

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
Katy, Texas
I successfully write C++ programs on both the PC and Mac. Free IDEs and compilers are available on both platforms, as are purchasable IDEs.

I think if you are looking for a purely programming in C++ reason to switch, you are barking up the wrong tree.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
Would there be any benefits to switch solely to program?

I prefer the commandline, so having UNIX and all of the tools that come with it is better for me. Windows can be made slightly more UNIXy, er, linuxy with cygwin, but it's still not the same.

I would not switch to the mac only because it's easier to program as a beginner(though for more seasoned devs this reason becomes more compelling). I would switch for that AND many other reasons. If you have no other reason to switch, I'd say this is not enough, but in my opinion there are plenty of reasons to switch from windows, fewer if from Linux.

-Lee

lo99tahoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
I'm tired of my PC period, i've done a complete overhaul on it twice. Just doesn't seem stable anymore. I've also considered getting a mac and putting ubuntu on my pc.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'm tired of my PC period, i've done a complete overhaul on it twice. Just doesn't seem stable anymore. I've also considered getting a mac and putting ubuntu on my pc.

It would be easier if you put one of the BSDs on the PC (FreeBSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD) as they share alot with Mac OS X and moving between them is a piece of cake. For instance I've just setup an OpenBSD box as a local server and when I SSH into it there is very little difference between it and Mac OS X which makes things very simple in the long run.

sord

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
I would suggest FreeBSD, Ubuntu, or OpenSolaris for your current PC. If you don't have any experience with *nix based systems, I would suggest downloading VMWare Server (free) and installing one of them as a VM ontop of Windows so you can determine which to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.