Info on water damage without AppleCare+

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Danny80y, May 2, 2015.

1. Danny80y macrumors member

Does anybody know what the rules are if you were to get water damage inside the watch? How would they tell if it was manufacture fault or you took it in a pool? Surely some of these with the displays not glued on properly are not water resistant so should be covered by the regular warranty.... How would they be able to determine between the two? Contemplating wearing it in the pool for swimming is only 3ft deep.... Obviously if you had AppleCare+ they would push you to pay the damage fee.

2. April Knight Suspended

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204665

"Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands. Submerging Apple Watch, however, is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant."

I would say if you're worried about your warranty, follow Apple's recommendation and don't submerge it. I don't know why you'd want to wear it while swimming anyways.

3. Azzin macrumors 68040

Attention seeking.

"Look at me.

I've got an Apple Watch. In the swimming pool too.

Aren't I cool?"

4. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

You are covered since Apple states the watch is IPx7. Also the :apple:Watch FAR exceeds this rating. As proof just look at all the threads about :apple:Watch problems and notice that 0 are about water damage. Also watch this video and you will see you have nothing to worry about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjtTpRcDM3U

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

To be on the safe side I would not wear it in the pool.

But there are those here that will not be denied!

6. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

It should be fine to get it wet once in a while, but I have my doubts about using regularly in the shower or pool. Just because somebody did it once on Youtube doesn't mean it won't be an issue 6 months down the line.

7. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

I don't know why you'd wear it in the shower but how many threads do we have about that?

8. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

... the water dries, if you're actually concerned, rinse it in distilled water and let it dry, it will remove any debris that may have accumulated.

9. Danny80y thread starter macrumors member

Not that I have to justify my pool use... But as a Physio I do one 1/2 hour hydrotherapy session about 3 times a week so not even swimming just walking around hand probably max 6in under the water. Would be really nice to know if I was needed via txt ect when in the session as phone alway goes and it has to stay in the changing room.

Also, I guess nobody above knows how apple would approach a water damage repair as would be difficult to tell if you went diving or just took a shower.....or the watch had a defective seal.

10. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

My concern is that the seals may get worse over time with repeated use under water.

11. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Former Apple employee here. For iPhones and iPads if someone had water damage without AppleCare, they would be charged the OOW fee (out of warranty) to have the device repaired/replaced. I am certain it would be the same here.

12. Primus84 macrumors 6502

Except the Watch is IPx7 water resistant so not the same thing at all.

13. Danny80y, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015

Danny80y thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it's easy with the sensors on iPhone/iPad to tell if it got wet but much more difficult when it's a water resistant device what is hardware failure or misuse... I reckon with a bit of persuasion you could get it replaced.

I wonder if apple specifically built it to survive 10ft as not many have pools deeper than that and you deff wouldn't dive with it....

14. Azzin macrumors 68040

if you're taking a hydrotherapy session (presumably for a client), what could possibly come in that was so important that you'd need to keep looking at your watch instead of tending to your clients needs?

If a life or death phone call was coming in, presumably people would try other methods to get hold of you.

I still think it's a bit of attention seeking.

15. chrisperra macrumors member

chrisperra

Apple has come out to their Genius Bars and Authorized Service Providers what constitutes normal liquid contact and how to tell if the device was subjected to harsher conditions than the device is rated for. As far as I can tell, they are being very lenient on this, unlike iPhone and iPad, where the answer is cut and dry per the Liquid Contact Indicators in those devices. We will see if those guidelines get changed after a while, as has happened in the past.

16. Danny80y thread starter macrumors member

Don't think many would even know what an apple watch was..... ;)

----------

Most useful post so far thnx :D

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Apple says this in their User Guide:

18. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

I'd be more worried about getting the chlorine smell off of the watch/band.

And if it reeked of chlorine, they'd definitely know you swam with it.

If you want to swim with it so bad, why not just spring for Apple Care?

19. Danny80y thread starter macrumors member

Just more curious about the standard warranty than anything.

20. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

I think it's just a case of keeping the watch with you so it's not stolen. I have the same concern with leaving valuables in a gym/pool locker. Nothing to do with "showing off" (I only swim with a cheap watch that's not going to impress anyone)

21. priscilla55 macrumors regular

priscilla55

That's definitely a realistic concern. When I'm on holiday at the beach, I always take my iphone into the sea with me (in a suitable waterproof case, of course) rather than leave it on the beach. I'd probably rather risk my watch in the pool than in an unsafe locker. Hopefully someone will come up with additional waterproofing protection for the watch.

22. H3rman macrumors 6502

Fact is there is no way they could prove anything apart from it is water damaged. The watch is rated to IPX7 which means it must be able to stay fully submerged under water at a depth of 3 feet for 30 minutes and keep on working.

If you took a water damaged watch into an :apple: Store there would be no way of them proving that you had it underwater for more than 30 minutes or at a greater depth than 3 feet, so really they would be obliged to replace it.

It does depend on the laws of your country, but in the UK they would have a very difficult time trying to convince a judge in small claims court (if it came to that).

How easy it would be is another matter. Sure, from a legal standpoint and in court they may not have a leg to stand on, but if you get a rep or manager who are so far up themselves then it will be a long drawn out uphill battle until it does eventually make it to a small claims court hearing (no idea what the equivalent is in the U.S.), so a much simpler option is to just buy AppleCare+ and be done with it.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

to answer the OPs question, water damage would be covered without AC+. The watch has a water resistant rating and they have no way to tell what caused the damage: a shower, the rain, a puddle, etc.

24. Azzin macrumors 68040

Completely different from taking a hydrotherapy lesson with your client.

Presumably the phone has been safe up until no, so what's so important that the OP "needs" to wear his/her watch in the pool?

Still smacks of attention seeking to me, plus I'd be really annoyed if a therapist (who is there to help with my rehabilitation) kept looking at his/her watch every time a text or email came in.

It wouldn't be ok if this was a physiotherapist in a room constantly checking a phone for incoming alerts, why should it be ok in a pool?