Info: Targus solution for magnet problem and Vuscape Review

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by shggman, Mar 24, 2012.

1. shggman macrumors newbie

Just got my Targus Vuscape case for iPad 3rd Gen. I ordered the bone white color through Amazon.

The material is different from the black one, which supposed to be leather. I love the cloth feeling of this case better than the black leather one. Construction is tight, materials are good quality, and fitment is good. It looks like a $45 case, nothing more, nothing less. I debated between Targus Slim and blue color. I saw the blue color in real life prior to purchase, and didn't like the wash-out jean color of it. It looked like a faded blue color to me, but for some, it might be an attractive color. The bone white looks almost exactly same as the pictures you see on their website. Blue on the website looks more vibrant and deep in color compared to what you will see in real life. To each on your own. With the Targus Slim, there is a one major reason why I went with Vuscape instead. The difference in "slim-ness" wasn't large enough to overlook the extra functionality you get with Vuscape. Most importantly, on/off magnetic feature works perfectly fine.

Prior to the purchase of Vuscape/Slim case, I contacted Targus through Tweeter and through their website customer service. I wanted to see what they will do if I get a problematic case. I got a quick reply back regarding the magnet problem. They said they are fully aware of the problem (Received so many complaints) and will come up with a solution. According to Targus, they said they will provide fixed replacement for free to those customers with problematic Targus case. You get to keep the one you already have!! Turn around time will be 6~8 weeks however. Knowing that these guys are willing to back up their products, I bought the Vuscape and luckily, is working perfectly fine for me.

Those of you pissed off due to the magnet problem, I suggest you contact Targus through their online customer service e-mail support and tell them nicely that you have the infamous non-working ipad 3 case.

2. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

How do they confirm you own one if you get to keep the broke one?

3. Thrilledge macrumors regular

I had to attach my receipt through chat. I have the Targus Slim

4. shggman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep. The reply back from Targus stated they needed the receipt info, which included model number, place of purchase and date of purchase. I didn't have to go that far since my Vuscape is working good.

Good luck with yours.

5. overlyunderme macrumors regular

overlyunderme

I love my Targus VuScape. All the adjustable angles is a great feature and the padding for protection is nice. I'm not big on the Apple logo cut out on the back, but I'll live with it. The magnet on mine works as well.

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

To OP: I'm confused as to which case you actually bought, the Slim or the Vuscape.

The Targus Vuscape only comes in black, gray, pink and white.
    http://www.targus.com/us/productdet...cts&cp=&bannertxt=Cases for Tablet & e-Reader

The Targus Slim comes in white, gray, pink, red, blue and black.
    http://www.targus.com/us/productdet...cts&cp=&bannertxt=Cases for Tablet & e-Reader

The big difference, other than thickness and external material, is that the Vuscape has the stylus loop on the front cover, where the Slim has it on the back side of the case. And the Vuscapes all have a vinyl cover, whereas the Slim's have a bit more of a cloth cover.

So which did you end up with, the Vuscape or the Slim in white?

7. shggman thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the confusion. Let me clear some up.

To Targus, I asked them whether problem with Targus SLIM will be resolved in the future. This was prior to the purchase of any Targus product. I asked them about SLIM because I wanted that model at the time.

At the end,
    -after seeing the Targus' blue color in real life, I decided to go with white.
    -after comparing Targus slim and vuscape, I decided to go with Vuscape due to the minimum difference in slimness of the two and the benefit you get from an extra viewing angle. Also, I use my iPad on the bed or irregular surface alot. The steep-angle view for the Slim wasn't secure enough, whereas Vuscape uses the whole front cover on the bottom as support. I believe the materials are same, unless you were talking about the packaging(vinyl vs cloth cover you mentioned).

Hope this clear things up.

Oh yeah, according to Targus New Ipad website, Vuscape does come in Blue.
    http://www.targus.com/us/ipad/vuscape.aspx

And Slim comes in white, pink, red, orange, blue, gray, black.
    http://www.targus.com/us/ipad/slimcase.aspx

8. glen e macrumors 68030

I have two slim units and they both work great - magnets and all. I like the conventional way they look and the blue is denim color which works well for me. I recc the case, but there is not telling if yours will work with the magnet as like very other case, the Polarity is not unidirectional in all cases....

9. MTI macrumors 65816

Have the new Slim (from Amazon) and it didn't work, so went to the Targus website and found this:

new iPad Cases: Targus is committed to keeping your new iPad protected. If you're having an issue with your case for the new iPad, please contact our customer service team and they will be happy to send you a tested replacement case or in some situations another model, if preferred. No need to return the case you have to us. For more information please call 1-877-482-7487 or email us at http://goo.gl/W0VcT. We appreciate your business and will do whatever it takes to fix the issue.

10. Daves0024 macrumors member

I bought the Targus Slim from Best Buy and the magnet does not work. I called Targus and they said to keep the one I have and I can even take a picture of the receipt on my phone and email it to them. They just want to see proof that it was purchased. They gave me the same 6 to 8 week timeframe but told me it should be sooner.

Excellent customer service!