Information about universities in England

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Michelleh123321, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Michelleh123321 macrumors newbie

Hi! I am going to Hope College in Michigan in the fall. My junior year I plan to study abroad in England. I am majoring in Communications. Through Hope College they have certain universities that you can study at while still being a Hope student.

My choices are:
    Goldsmiths College
    UCL
    University of Westminster

I am most interested in Goldsmiths and University of Westminster. I've heard great things about UCL, but they don't have a Communications program.

I am looking for information pertaining to if the college is well known, if it is located in a good area etc. But any information at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

All of them are in London so will be expensive to live at, though aside from UCL which has an excellent reputation, I'm not sure.

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah, UCL's the only one about which I've heard. If you're studying communications at your college, maybe it would make sense to get a little exposure to a different field when you study abroad. Communications is quite broad, so I'm sure you could find something that meets your interests.

Plus, from what I'm told about undergraduates who study abroad, actual academic learning is quite low on the list of priorities. Either the classes are quite easy or the students don't care about the grades, because my friends have all told me that they prioritized "cultural immersion" (that is, getting exceptionally wasted on a regular basis).

4. egor macrumors regular

Have you looked at university league tables? That should be your first stop, google it, The Guardian and Times broadsheet newspapers do the two I'd regard the most highly.

Westminister and Goldsmiths are crap compared to UCL. UCL is a very good university, in terms of prestige it's a university you won't feel ashamed to put on your CV. Easily in the top ten and perhaps better than the one you're going to in Michigan (I don't know).

Is Kings College London a possibility? Like UCL it is also one of the "Ivy League" universities (or our equivalent of, depends on opinion though). I say because that's where I'm going and whilst it might not be ranked as highly as UCL, it's close and I'm pretty sure offers a Communications degree.

Both are located in central London. In terms of accomodation there are inter-collegiate halls that cater for international students, so I don't think expense is likely to be an issue if you get into a hall of residence.