Carrier [Information] AT&T NEXT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HoLeeFuq, Sep 25, 2014.

1. HoLeeFuq, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

HoLeeFuq macrumors newbie

Just a few questions on my upgrade using ATT NEXT PROGRAM. I'm trying to get a Iphone 6 plus and seems impossible right now in Boston MA :(

-Does Apple do the ATT NEXT program if I go in the store my self?

- Does Best Buy let me use my ATT NEXT upgrade in store or on the web and do instore pick up?

Things that I have confirmed where ATT NEXT DOESNT WORK(correct me if I'm wrong)

-if you place an order on Apple site using ATT NEXT upgrade, you will NOT be able to do in store pick up. You will have to go into the store your self and do the upgrade assuming they have the device In store .... Does anyone kno if this is true I'm getting mixed answers...

-Target DOES NOT Let you upgrade with ATT NEXT upgrade on web or instore.

Please correct me if I'm wrong all opinion and answers welcome.

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I did 2 next purchases at the Apple store yesterday. I think they'll do it as long as you are not trading a phone.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

IF you're an existing ATT customer I believe you can purchase the phone through apple.com even on the NEXT program.

4. daflake macrumors 6502a

Of course you could simply call AT&T and ask them. They will have the answers to your questions.

5. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

-Does Apple do the ATT NEXT program if I go in the store my self?
    Yes

- Does Best Buy let me use my ATT NEXT upgrade in store or on the web and do instore pick up?
    I doubt it, I don't see any in store pick ups for iPhones 6/6+ besides Apple

-Things that I have confirmed where ATT NEXT FOESNT WORK(correct me if I'm wrong)
    It is spelled, DOESN'T, and what doesn't work about it?

-if you place an order on Apple site using ATT NEXT upgrade, you will NOT be able to do in store pick up. You will have to go into the store your self and do the upgrade assuming they have the device In store.

It is a YMMV sort of thing. The Apple Store would have every right to turn you down and make you get in the back of the line.

-Target DOES NOT Let you upgrade with ATT NEXT upgrade on web or instore.

If a store sells AT&T, they should allow Next or they would lose a large part of their business. Don't know about the web, I wouldn't bother with Target's web store front.

6. zas macrumors member

I bought mine using next. You can't pick up in store, they have to ship it to you.

7. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

You can upgrade with Next in-store at Best Buy. That's how I got mine.

8. HoLeeFuq thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got out the target store and they had 6 + in stock and they said they don't do ATT NEXT upgrades... So this is what I don't get I got 2 lines and one of them says I'm eligible for an upgrade. But it says my contract ends on 10-28-2014 next month, when I select upgrade it gives me the option of 12 month or 18 month installment plans.. So does that mean I have ATT next or regular 2 year upgrade or what? I'm confused now lol

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If your contract ends 10-28-2014, that is when you will be eligible for the 2 year upgrade. When AT&T introduced Next last year November, they give everybody the eligible for AT&T Next regardless if they were on contract or not.

Right now, the one that ends on 10-28-2014 is eligible for AT&T Next, provided that you haven't used AT&T next on that line previously. Or you can just wait a month and get the eligible upgrade and determine if the 2 year contract or the Next is for you.

I can confirm this because last year september I upgraded to an S4 (2 year contract), but when AT&T announced Next, I was eligible for Next in November but didn't use it till April.

10. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

The Apple Store will let you upgrade to ATT Next. But they won't let you renew an ATT Next program.

11. HoLeeFuq thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I am on the ATT NEXT program that's why I have and upgrade or I can wait till 10-28-14 to use my 2 year upgrade. Might as well use my ATT NEXT since its avalible now and don't have to pay up front only taxes. Thing that sucks only some store honor it and or in store pick up, anyway I can get around this to do the in store pick up.

12. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yea if you are renewing from AT&T Next, you have to do that at the ATT Store, Apple store won't do it (Unless you pay off the entire cost of the phone, then yes, Apple store can do AT&T on an existing line). So yea you can use the AT&T Next now, and if you do you won't get the 2 year upgrade anymore until you pay off your device.

13. oplix Suspended

oplix

ATT Next is a scam. You are paying $400 more than you have to over a two year term.

14. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If AT&T Next is a scam, then so is with Verizon Edge. Since you pay monthly installments.

The 2 year contract is okay if you are willing to be stuck with that device for 2 years. But also keep in mind that it will be $40 monthly opposed to the $15.00 monthly. Once the 2 year contract is up then it's back down to $15.

15. HoLeeFuq thread starter macrumors newbie

So where do I fall in a existing customer ofcourse since my contract ends 10-28-14, and it's giving me the option to go with a 12 month or 18 month installment plan with ATT NEXT, so does that mean I have to pay off my existing phone or do I just upgrade with ATT NEXT. And pay the taxes for the phone? Sorry for all the dumb questions

16. jtgamer macrumors member

For the Apple store, I believe they can only do AT&T Next only if you are going from a 2 year contract to Next.

Depending on your area and Best Buy store, you can upgrade through AT&T Next either in store or online with in-store pick up depending on the store's inventory. I upgraded to Next at Best Buy and it is fairly easy to upgrade just like if you were doing it at the Apple Store.

If your contract is ending, you don't have to pay it off when switching to Next. It would be basicly signing a new contract for Next and you would be free to unlock your phone. When I switched, I was 1 year into my 2 year contract since AT&T decided to bump everybody's upgrades if they go to Next. Only thing you be paying for is the tax for the full cost of the phone,

17. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Are you currently on a 2 year contract? If that is the case then you do not have to pay off anything an you can just upgrade with AT&T Next and you just pay the tax when you buy it. The monthly installments gets added to your bill.

If you currently have AT&T Next and want to upgrade you have a couple of options, which you can do a pay to upgrade, but of course you have to trade in your phone (this is why this has to be done at the AT&T store). Or you can simply pay off the remainder cost and keep the device and use ATT Next again without having to trade in your phone.

18. HoLeeFuq thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm on the 2 year contract and it ends 10-28-14 so I'm guessing the upgrade is because ATT want me to go with the NEXT upgrade so I can get my iPhone 6 plus

19. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Well, when AT&T announced the NEXT program, AT&T gave everyone the eligible to use AT&T NEXT. That is why you were given the eligible since November. Anyways, yes you can use your AT&T next to get the iPhone 6 Plus. looks like Target doesn't do it, so you have to either go to Apple store, AT&T store or Best Buy.

20. Big Dookie macrumors member

Can you show me some numbers where that $400 figure comes from? Everything I've read about it indicates that Next is no better or worse than buying the phone outright, as you end up paying the same either way. It's just a decision of whether you want to pay for it all up front or over the course of 2 years.

However, what IS more expensive now is going the traditional contract/subsidy route. AT&T now offers a $15-$25 discount on your bill if you have a mobile sharing plan. As long as you either purchase the phone outright or get onto a Next plan, you keep that discount and they waive the new phone activation fee. But if you sign a new contract and subsidize the cost of the phone in the traditional manner, you lose that discount. So going this way, you pay an extra $600 over the life of your contract, in addition to whatever you paid for the subsidized phone up front.

So for example, here's how it breaks down for a 16 GB iPhone 6 over the course of 2 years, assuming you pay $125 a month for your 10 GB AT&T mobile sharing plan (not including the discount).

Purchase Outright: $650 (Upfront Phone Cost) + $3000 (Plan) - $600 (Discount) = $3050.

AT&T Next: $650 (Phone Cost over 24 months) + $3000 (Plan) - $600 (Discount) = $3050.

Subsidized Contract: $200 (Upfront Subsidized Phone Cost) + $3000 (Plan) + $40 (Activation Fee) = $3240.

So as you can see, with either an upfront purchase or Next plan, you save nearly $200 over the course of two years over the traditional subsidized contract price. Of course, this is all completely manufactured by AT&T with their discounts, but it's what we have to work with.

Being what it is, I don't see why anyone would willingly choose a traditional contract plan over the Next plan. With the contract, you end up paying the extra $25+ dollars a month because of losing your discount, and then you also have to pay a subsidized cost of the phone upfront. Next won't lower the cost of your monthly bill, but at least you don't have to pay anything for the phone up front (besides taxes).

Personally, I think buying outright is the way to go in any situation, but not everyone can afford to drop that much money at once. So if the choice is between a contract and Next, I'd pick Next every time.