Information from AT&T rep about using someone elses upgrade for yourself

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by the1payday, Jun 9, 2009.

1. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

I got off the phone with a local AT&T rep earlier today about using someone elses upgrade eligibilty on my account to get the subsidized pricing for myself. My father is upgrade eligible although I am not. The rep I talked to on the phone told me to simply go in with my father, have him buy the phone, and then once it was paid for the rep would switch the data plans back around in the computer system for us so that we only have one iPhone plan and iPhone device showing up on the plan. Normally, I take the AT&T reps words with 6 gallons of salt, but Ive dealt with this specific rep through the years on AT&T and he ALWAYS knows his details and is always correct and follows through with what he tells us. Does anybody else have any experiance with this sort of upgrade eligibility workaround? Let me know what you think. And please...don't let this thread steer off into a "it's your own fault you bought the iPhone 3G; you signed a 2-year contract, thread. Please.

2. adnarim10 macrumors newbie

My family (four of us) have been on Family Talk for what seems like forever. We've been using each other's upgrades for about as long. They just use Dad's upgrade and put your sim card in the new phone. When I upgraded to iPhone from the Centro I used my brother's upgade and they just changed over the Centro data plan to iPhone and there were no issues whatsoever. It shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck! Come back and report on the new phone!

3. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Yup.

This is kind of what I am thinking of doing.

Upgrade my son to the iPhone 3GS.

Then swap phones with him. :D

4. pinwanger macrumors member

can't we just order the iPhone 3Gs online using the eligible info and then just use it when it arrives instead of going thru the hassle of talking to att csr and swap/delete plans...

5. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

Most of you can, yes, but I am on a business account and to my knowledge pre-ordering on Apple's website was undo-able for business accounts. Does anyone know if AT&T's website is able to accept business account pre-orders?

6. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

i plan to do this (order online, switch phones)
    but I think ill still have to make a trip to the att store (its right around the corner so its actually easier than calling) to make sure they put the plans on right. My mom doesnt need unlimited 3G data on her old samsung slider...

7. Branskins macrumors 65816

Yes, that is how it works!

I once went to an authorized ATT seller that did not sell the iPhone. He tried to get me to a buy different phone, but when I asked about using my mother's upgrade, he said it was illegal!

When I went to Best Buy, we asked someone in the mobile department and they said they do these switches all of the time! The guy at the ATT store lied to me because he did not sell the iPhone.

So to answer the question, it is as easy as walking in and using your father's upgrade. However, do note that when you do this switch, they renew your contract with ATT for another 2 years. What this means is that when my mom got my phone, the contract that was left on my line was renewed for another two years.