Information from ipod touch is being extracted: hacked/keylogged/other?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shinyer, Apr 21, 2012.

1. shinyer, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

shinyer macrumors newbie

Please excuse my usage of the term hacked.

Ok, so somehow, all the information from my Ipod touch is being extracted by someone I know on the internet, whom I have found out to be cyberstalking me. They have my entire browsing history and photos. The Ipod is not jailbroken nor has it ever left my possession. Are there keyloggers? Is iOS Safari susceptible to cross-site scripting? Could it be someone intercepting the network? Is there a way to find out what method this person is using?

How are they doing this?!?! Help!

Thanks in advance!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They probably borrowed your device for a few minutes. Put a passcode on it and don't use open WiFi networks.

3. shinyer thread starter macrumors newbie

That can't be possible because the person is someone from the internet. Who is cyberstalking me. I'll edit the original post to reflect this.

4. arvindhudli macrumors newbie

As far as I know, there are no keyloggers and safari is pretty safe, but there are ways to remotely capture packet data from iOS devices: http://useyourloaf.com/blog/2012/2/7/remote-packet-capture-for-ios-devices.html - even without a jailbreak.

A restore should fix it.

5. shinyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.

All the clues led me to believe that there was some kind of packet interception going on.

Do you also happen to know if there is any way to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks again!

6. arvindhudli macrumors newbie

You could jailbreak and change your root password for a start (the default is 'alpine'). I doubt it will help much, but it definitely will prevent other malicious scripts or programs from running that may require root access.

The best way to stop this is to analyze your router traffic and block an IP that you might find mysterious (connections being made at odd times or very frequently) on your firewall. Further, restrict communications through non common ports. Block your email ports if you can.

If you aren't allowed to or you are unable to do so, I think you should avoid clicking on weird or useless links that you might see in emails or the web.

Delete dropbox and any other file sharing app that can work in the background. Also, don't use open wifi, cellphone wifi hotspots (yes, including your own), or any network in general that doesn't have a good firewall.

All this after restoring your iPod. Don't forget to restore. It's the best fix for any software problem there is.

It doesn't look like you can prevent a packet sniffer from collecting data, although you might be able to stop usage data from being sent to your attacker. Unless you always keep your iPod in airplane mode.
    Then again, I'm no expert. So google it as well :p

You mentioned that you know your attacker. You could always try talking to them about it :)

7. Slinkwyde macrumors regular

Do you use iCloud? If so, maybe you have a weak password on your iCloud Apple ID. Maybe you even use the same password everywhere. Passwords should be long, random, and completely unique for each site. A good way to do that is to use LastPass or 1Password.