Information on AppleCare after stolen laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mchad, Jan 15, 2011.

1. mchad macrumors member

Hey, I thought I would let ya'll know this if the information isn't already on here. I recently had my MacBook Pro stolen, I called Apple to see if they would transfer my applecare plan to a new laptop. The answer was no, but...they offered to refund me a pro-rated amount of money for the unused amount of time left on my applecare plan. Within a week I had $85 back in my account from Apple.
    I believe that they will only do this if you purchased the plan directly from Apple (rather than Best Buy etc.)

2. pricej636 macrumors 6502

They have always been willing to refund a pro-rated portion of apple care. I don't think it matters where it was purchased from as it always has to be registered to apple.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not true. The terms and condition govern the pro-rated refund, not here you bought it. In any case, Apple still receives their money regardless of the retail outlet.

4. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

State law governs that as well - so Apple's response may vary state by state as well in terms of what gets refunded. Alabama, for example allows an administrative fee but doesn't deduct paid claims from the pro-rated refund.