Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Infractions are used to serve as a reminder and a point of contact regarding the forum rules.

They are typically used in the not so serious instances. Sometimes for repeat low level problems or for slightly more serious one of cases. In both of these cases PMs/time-out/bans might be sent but it depends on the history of the problem(s) however the Infraction system is used as a visible reminder regarding the rules.

Sometimes they have to be used in situations when a normal PM would be suffice as members might have PMs disabled and thus the only point of contact is an infraction.

That covers the broad general use of infractions and why members might be given them. If this does not cover what you wanted to ask please ask a more definite question(s)

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
So many? Only takes one instance to be banned or in time out

Well on other forums they are points. Say you need 10 points to be banned for a week. Say you get a infraction for spam, that is 2 points. And then flame someone in a thread, which is 9. You get banned because you went over the limit. The points do expire overtime.

Of course I have no clue how it works here, because I've never gotten an infraction.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Infractions are used to serve as a reminder and a point of contact regarding the forum rules.

They are typically used in the not so serious instances. Sometimes for repeat low level problems or for slightly more serious one of cases. In both of these cases PMs/time-out/bans might be sent but it depends on the history of the problem(s) however the Infraction system is used as a visible reminder regarding the rules.

Sometimes they have to be used in situations when a normal PM would be suffice as members might have PMs disabled and thus the only point of contact is an infraction.

That covers the broad general use of infractions and why members might be given them. If this does not cover what you wanted to ask please ask a more definite question(s)

Would the offender be told that they were being given a time out and given a reason for it? A few weeks ago I tried to log into MR and got a message that my IP address had been blocked. I sent an email asking what that meant and never got a reply. At the time my computer was acting up so I thought maybe it was affecting the MR server in a negative way and they cut me off for that reason. Later that same evening I was allowed back in. I have no idea what happened because I got no response. If I had a time out, I would have liked to have known why so that I could correct my behavior.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Would the offender be told that they were being given a time out and given a reason for it?
Yes.

A few weeks ago I tried to log into MR and got a message that my IP address had been blocked. I sent an email asking what that meant and never got a reply.
Your reply was sent 6 minutes after we got your message.

At the time my computer was acting up...
Perhaps that's why you didn't see our message.

Well on other forums they are points. Say you need 10 points to be banned for a week.
That's correct. Some sites use that system. However, we aren't using it.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Yes.

Your reply was sent 6 minutes after we got your message.

Perhaps that's why you didn't see our message.

Would it be possible for you to send me this message again? If I did something wrong I would like to know what. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.