Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonathansm

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
I have a Canon XSi that I want to send in to have it converted to a Infrared camera, but I was also thinking of have in converted into a full spectrum. So what should I do? I know with full spectrum you have more options because you can just get the different filters. What I really want to are pictures like this

246328969_cc3140dff1.jpg

I know this is Infrared but what did they use? A full spectrum or a Infrared camera? Also has anyone had any luck with services that will convert cameras? I was looking at http://www.lifepixel.com/products

Last edited by a moderator:

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I did the conversion myself on an old Nikon D70. I had the same questions and ended up going for the full spectrum conversion.

Full spectrum is nice so that you can just swap out filters to get the different wave lengths. Unfortunately the camera becomes much more difficult to use. You have to remove the filter to frame and focus, then carefully screw it back on and hope you don't disturb the lens.

With a specific filter you don't have that hassle but you can't change the wave length on the fly.

I went full spectrum so I could experiment with the different filters. In the end I think I would get more use out of the camera if I picked a wave length and got the corresponding hot mirror.

Jonathansm

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
So I think I've decided to go with the enhanced ir color conversion that they offer at lifepixel. The big thing that is steering me away from full spectrum is that fact that you can't compose your shot with the ir filter on and I would also have to buy the filters same as with no conversion at all. Has anyone had expirence with lifepixel? From what I have been reading they do a good job.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I used the Life Pixel filter. I did the conversion myself and it was pretty easy if you are comfortable with electronics. Overall it was a good experience and I would recommend them.

Do a search for coupons and you might find a 10-20% discount.

Going with the specific filter is a good idea and I think you will be happy with it. Also sending the camera to them will get you a calibrated auto focus.

Good luck and enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.