Infuriating connection issue....... DHCP stops working randomly after 10 mins.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ZestyOne, May 2, 2011.

1. ZestyOne macrumors member

ZestyOne

I have a belkin router. I leave to go out of town for 3 days.. while I'm gone my friend texts me that our Cox internet is down. an hour later he texts me and says Cox came out and had to do some work in the box. they pulled the 'computer out of ground', blah blah.

He then said they stepped him through resetting the router (doh)...

Now, I come back and my ****ing macbook pro wont connect to the internet for longer than 5 minutes. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out, and have to tether from my phone because it is driving me insane to try and use the house internet.

Basically.. just randomly I will be using the internet and everything just goes to DNS error, aim disconnects, skype disconnects, itunes stops streaming.

heres what happens.
    1. I have to go to DHCP and hit renew. sometimes it will work. sometimes it straight up does not work and will dick around for a long time and do nothing.
    2. if i turn off airport and turn it on, it just spends forever trying to connect iwth "No ip address" for airport.
    3. If it manages to get an IP address, sometimes it says "self assigned IP address" and still can't connect to the internet
    4. If it manages to get an IP, and its not self-assigned, the internet MAY work for another 5-25 minutes, and then it will just instantly stop working again.

Here's what I've done so far. im so furious and frustrated at this I want to just ****ing reformat, thats how sick I am of dealing with this stuipd problem for the last 24 hours. I should also note EVERYTHING WORKS FINE on the 2 pc's in the house. So i know it's an issue with my computer. I also dont think its a problem with Cox as like i said everything works fine on the 2 PC's in the house

1. I have completely powercycled everything numerous times. i did it the correct way
    2. Rebooted a million times
    3. I removed every network from advanced settings. all like 100 of them
    4. I held the reset button on the router, basically resetting everything to square one... the default password, network name, ecryption type, etc etc.
    5. deleted all references to the network out of keychain, so that it was basically 100% fresh (done at the same time i removed all my networks)
    6. I tried manually entering an IP, but that just straight up didnt connect at all, so I might have done that wrong (i just chose manual for the DHCP.. i put in something random.. 192.168.2.9, 255.255.255.0 for subnet mask and hit ok). that didnt wrok at all so i just put it back, i figured i might have done something wrong. i also dont see why i would need to do this when it should wrok automatically
    7. I logged into the router at 192.168.2.1 and reset EVERYTHING, factory defaults

I dont know what else to try, besides hanging rope from the ceiling fan. please help me

2. ZestyOne thread starter macrumors member

ZestyOne

It just happened again.

I got an exact specific of what happens after it stops working. Itunes stopped streaming, sure enough no pages load and aim disconnects.

I go into network settings in osx and i see it says "airport is connected with 192.168.2.2 IP). the little light is green, and it appears everything is fine (it hasnt booted me off with no IP or anything at the time of it not working).

At that point... nothing works whatsoever. i tried going to renew DHCP.. this time around it didnt work.

It just says no IP address and hangs there for an inordinate amount of time in which i just ****ing smash my keyboard with my fist and tether with my phone because i dont feel like waiting

3. ZestyOne thread starter macrumors member

ZestyOne

I should say, I haven't actually tried to stay on another network long enough to see if it happens. that could isolate my computer as the problem if it works just fine on my neighbors wireless network (i'm not tethering as that setup doesnt closeley imitate what i have at home).

If it works for a few hours I know it must be my POS belkin router that will be blown away with my 10 guage

4. ZestyOne thread starter macrumors member

ZestyOne

5. skinuca macrumors member

skinuca