Infuriating mouse behaviour on Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by james6000, Oct 13, 2013.

1. james6000 macrumors member

james6000

Running Win7 on bootcamp on my imac, the pointer seems to have a mind of its own, or more accurately, the way things respond to the pointer. Over booting up windows, normally the pointer is useless, I can move it around but I an unable to click on anything: try to click on something within a window, such as Steam, but it acts as if I'm focused on a different window. I find that rapidly clicking anywhere eventually solves this problem temporarily.

Another problem is that sometimes a left click registers as a middle click, so if i were to click on a different tab in a web browser, it would close. Or if I click on an empty space, the scroll cursor appears, when I am certain I am not using the middle button.

One thing I am certain of is its not a hardware problem. I used a Logitech mx performance mouse and a magic trackpad, both have problems on the windows side with the aforementioned. Both work find on OSX.

Any ideas on how to solve this mildly infuriating case?

2. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

I seem to recall similar issues. What finally solved it was by accident. I somehow noticed that my iphone and wireless mouse were conflicting. I forget if it had to do with bluetooth or not. (Mouse was wireless but not bluetooth)

Anyways, I told the iphone to stop trying to connect or something like that and like a MIRACLE, the issue was solved.

I NEVER old have thought to look to the Iphone to solve this so it was one of those freak happenstance that caused me to look there and solve the issue.

I just throw this out because a normal person wold never think of this as a logical solution, except after the fact.

Good luck.

3. MJL macrumors 6502a

I was searching this weekend for pointing devices - prefer to have them hardwired. Some suitable items I found were wireless but I did not find many Bluetooth devices. Discovered that under Windows Bluetooth has at times a not that reliable performance which is why Logitech is moving towards using wireless.

Mobile phones do not have a very clean transmitting signal and it is well possible that it interferes (I used to be involved in HAM radio a long time ago) . Of course if the phone or something else is trying to connect and is constantly bombarding the PC with a signal then something else cannot get in and stops functioning.

4. james6000 thread starter macrumors member

james6000

My phone's bluetooth is always turned off, however the magic trackpad connects used bluetooth so perhaps that has something to do with it?

Unfortunetly, theres no easy way to turn it off, apart from removing batteries.