Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
How is this different from Plex...that has not been working for me for years and would like a new option.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
How is this different from Plex...that has not been working for me for years and would like a new option.
Infuse is similar to Plex in the sense they are both able to play videos.

However, Infuse is able to stream directly from most any device (Mac, PC, NAS, cloud service, etc...) and doesn't require the installation of any special server software. This is helpful in a number of ways, but maybe most notable is that all playback duties are handled on the device which Infuse runs on (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, etc...) so your files can be stored on a low-power device (like an Apple Time Capsule).

We are also working constantly to add support for the latest video and audio formats (HDR, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, etc...) and people often report Infuse is able to play these videos when other options cannot.

You can take the Pro feature for a spin to see how they work for you by selecting the yearly option on the purchase prompt. Doing this will provide you with a 1 month free trial.

Hope this helps. :)

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Infuse 7.4.7 is now available! 🙌

Includes improvements for iCloud sync, manual audio delay & audio sync fixes for Apple TV, playback fixes for DVD files, and more!

https://firecore.com/releases

Enjoy! 🙂

FgkTKNKVEAA8dGt

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
On macOS can you add trackpad gestures so we can scrub a video using 2 fingers back and forward

Give Better Touch Tool a try - they offer a 45 day trial... and to be honest I don't know why anyone with a Mac would not have this app already. It's fantastic.

As well as all the improvements you can do by app or universally with Touchpad gestures, it also has a built in clipboard for copy/pasting and you can add cusotm keyboard shortcuts too (and made that Touchbar great too)

Not to derail this threas, so here's alink to a thread about BTT and my Safari setup for it

MasterMaCanada59

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2020
Near Montreal CANADA
Infuse 7.4.10 now available! 💪

Includes new HDR10+ tag on details page, ability to add root folder (all files) to favorites, speed improvements for SMB streaming, and other minor fixes.

Fk6t5f6aMAA_joU
Many thanks for your precious infos. Really appreciated.
Infuse Pro is installed on all my devices. But Infuse 7.4.10 update was done only on my Apple TV 4K.
Infuse on iPad (16.2) and Mac (13.1) is still on 7.4.9. Is it possible to update manually ? Or is it a delay for non-U.S. countries (like Canada🇨🇦) ?

Regards and best wishes,
My 2 cents : Infuse is insanely great ! Best Home Theatre software out there.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Many thanks for your precious infos. Really appreciated.
Infuse Pro is installed on all my devices. But Infuse 7.4.10 update was done only on my Apple TV 4K.
Infuse on iPad (16.2) and Mac (13.1) is still on 7.4.9. Is it possible to update manually ? Or is it a delay for non-U.S. countries (like Canada🇨🇦) ?

Regards and best wishes,
My 2 cents : Infuse is insanely great ! Best Home Theatre software out there.
Sometimes there can be a delay before an update becomes available in some regions (due to Apple's CDN caching).

What can help is to restart your device, as this will usually get the update to appear quicker.

Reactions: MasterMaCanada59

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Infuse 7.4.10 now available! 💪

Includes "speed improvements for SMB streaming"

Hmmm.
After upgrading to a new Synology NAS, I decided to try using FTP, rather than the SMB share protocol i'd used before. FTP was at least 10x quicker over a 5g wifi connection - which made a huge improvement for streaming 4k files.

Only strange thing is when I go to my TV folder/favourite it takes several seconds to refresh - whereas the Movie folder does not.
Previous setup through SMB to same folder/favourite setup would have same instant display for both TV and Movie favourites (once metadata etc was puled and complete).

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Hmmm.
After upgrading to a new Synology NAS, I decided to try using FTP, rather than the SMB share protocol i'd used before. FTP was at least 10x quicker over a 5g wifi connection - which made a huge improvement for streaming 4k files.

Only strange thing is when I go to my TV folder/favourite it takes several seconds to refresh - whereas the Movie folder does not.
Previous setup through SMB to same folder/favourite setup would have same instant display for both TV and Movie favourites (once metadata etc was puled and complete).
Different protocols can perform at different levels depending on the hardware and network environment. If FTP is working well, then that could be the best option to use for you.

You can avoid having to read the folders directly by browsing using the Library. This will be a cached view, and will also work for browsing even if the device is offline.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
t looks like you are using List View, so the details are displayed there.

Yes, but isn't the description incomplete? "multi-platinum..." which I assume means that the description is truncated. How do I see the whole description?

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Yes, but isn't the description incomplete? "multi-platinum..." which I assume means that the description is truncated. How do I see the whole description?
In some cases you may see a shorter description when using list view. If you would like to see the full description, you could temporarily switch to grid view and open the full details page.

Reactions: HDFan

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
I’m sorry because I really love the app but the lack of multiple users made go back to use Plex. I hope you guys add this feature in the future.

Reactions: Bucks_Fizz

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
I’m sorry because I really love the app but the lack of multiple users made go back to use Plex. I hope you guys add this feature in the future.
This is something we have on our wishlist, so hopefully it will make it into a future update.

You can follow this thread in our forum for updates.

Reactions: seek3r

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
The latest 7.5 version of Infuse is here and it’s better than ever!

This release includes some of the top-requested features we’ve received from all of our amazing users, and we think you are going to love what we’ve been working on for you.

Play trailers for movies and shows​

Video trailers have arrived! You can now access a massive catalog of 250,000+ movie and TV show trailers and stream them with a simple tap directly within the app. Trailers are a great way to preview videos in your library for yourself or friends and family, allowing everyone to get a quick overview of the movie to see if it’s the right vibe. Trailers are available to all current Pro subscribers at no additional cost. 🙌

Pro tip: Access additional trailers and content by long-pressing the Trailer button.

infuse75-trailers_2x.jpg

Organize movies into Smart Groups​

The new Smart Groups feature is a great way to group different versions of the same title together in your Library. This could be things like different resolutions (1080p, 4K etc...), different releases (Director’s Cut, Theatrical Cut, etc...), videos spread across multiple files/discs (Part 1, Part 2, etc...), duplicates of the same file you have stored in different locations, or any combination of these you happen to have. When multiple versions are present, Infuse will automatically add tags for each — and you can add your own custom tags, if you wish.

Pro tip: Fine-tune the auto-selected version by adjusting the ‘Select Version’ option found in the ‘Settings > Collections & Groups’ menu.

infuse75-groups_2x.jpg

Even more Dolby Vision​

Dolby Vision comes in many different flavors, and today we’re adding expanded support for Dolby Vision Profile 8. Profile 8 is a unique format, as it includes both a Dolby Vision layer and an HDR layer. It has been used by Apple for many of their screensaver videos, and now more of these videos can be played natively in Infuse in full Dolby Vision. By default, the best video playback option will automatically be selected based on the video file and the device you are using, and you can change how this works by adjusting the Extended Dolby Vision option found in Infuse > Settings > Playback.

Note: Since Profile 8 has a number of different sub-variants with a wide variety of characteristics, a portion of Profile 8 videos will gracefully fall back to playing in HDR10 — which will still look great. 🙂

infuse75-dolby_2x.jpg

Playback core improvements​

Our primary goal with Infuse has always been to deliver excellent picture and sound when you press play — with every single video. In this update, we’ve revamped a hefty chunk of the playback internals, and modernized a number of areas to allow us to continue providing unparalleled playback performance and accuracy across all Apple platforms. These changes also include improved error correction for files which may be a little bit wonky (due to encoding and/or mastering issues) allowing these to now play beautifully — just like you’d expect.

infuse75-player_2x.jpg

Many other improvements and fixes​

Many other improvements and fixes are part of this release, so be sure to check out the full list of what’s new.

Thanks!​

We always love hearing your comments, feedback, and suggestions — so please feel free to continue the conversation here or in our Community Forum.

Thanks for using Infuse! 🧡

Last edited:

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Any fix for descriptions and thumbnails being blurred?
I can click the text and it opens up clear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.