Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ING Belgium today announced support for Apple Pay, offering the bank's customers another way to pay using contactless without needing their physical debit card to hand.

ing-belgium-apple-pay.jpg

The 1.4 million customers who do their banking via the ING Banking app will now be able to use their ING cards with Apple Pay to make payments even more easily, said the bank in a press release.
"We're constantly looking for new ways to help our customers manage their money even easier, and Apple Pay is a great fit," said Amaury Vanthournout, Director of Payments at ING Belgium. "We've seen a major behavioral shift among our customers as a result of the pandemic, many of whom have become hesitant to use cash. Half of all payments are now contactless, a steep rise from 13% a year ago. By introducing Apple Pay in the ING Banking app, we are seizing the momentum by offering our customers a new payment method that offers incredible ease of use in shops, online and on the go."
ING said it had recorded 51.5 million contactless payments during the first five months of 2021, compared to 21.5 million over the same period last year. The contactless payments are said to have accounted for half of all in-store debit card payments and had an average amount of €19.

With support for Apple Pay now live, ING customers will have the added benefit of paying for things using their iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac, without having to enter their PIN, even for amounts over 50 euros.

ING already offers Apple Pay in the Netherlands, France, Italy, Spain, Romania, Poland, Australia and Germany. Apple Pay launched in Belgium in November 2018. The digital payment method first launched in the United States in October 2014 and has since expanded to many other countries around the globe.

Article Link: ING Belgium Announces Support for Apple Pay

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Brussels, belgium
So funny, I tried to add my ING debit card this morning, even though it's not in the proposed bank list and it worked already. I thought I was the only one who didn't know that I could add ING.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Brussels, belgium
Wow they were fast!
They didn't like Apple Pay because in the Benelux we have horrible stuff like Bancontact and Payconiq. No one really knows how Bancontact or Payconiq work, neither how private it is, but no one seems to care.
Eventually they caved it seems.

yellow8

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2017
Good news modernity is coming to Belgium!
Now let's go, all the other banks.

Eggtastic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Nothing to do with the actual article, but I have a question about the photo in the article.

Can someone explain the ice cream cone that appears to be going through the ice cream itself? Is it a cone on top, some new fancy hipster city styled ice cream serving I have never heard of, or bad photo shop?

superswiegie

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Wow they were fast!
Hahaha.
I don't really get why it would take that long. Even the business side of ING (including in NL) still doesn't support Apple Pay. Would love to see big banks adjust quickly, but that is a vain hope.

knappeduivel

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Nothing to do with the actual article, but I have a question about the photo in the article.

Can someone explain the ice cream cone that appears to be going through the ice cream itself? Is it a cone on top, some new fancy hipster city styled ice cream serving I have never heard of, or bad photo shop?
I think the ice has melted around the cone, presumably because payment took too long. The suggestion is that holding your bank card near the reader takes more time than doing the same with your phone. I do not understand why the ad is in English, as it is not one of the three native Belgian languages.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eggtastic

knappeduivel

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
Amsterdam
I will not use Apple pay untill I understand why I would put an extra layer between my bank and the recipient of the money. I can produce my bank card faster than my iphone and my bank card is also more reliable.

hagar

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I will not use Apple pay untill I understand why I would put an extra layer between my bank and the recipient of the money. I can produce my bank card faster than my iphone and my bank card is also more reliable.
But your bank card also adds an extra layer: either Bancontact or the credit card company.

and I doubt you can take your bank card faster out of your wallet, register it and then enter your PIN code (when over 50 euro). Paying with iPhone or Apple Watch is much more convenient.

Reactions: mr.bee

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection

It’s probably a new type of ice cream that doesn’t melt as quickly, developed in conjunction with Apple: iCone 🤣

Reactions: Eggtastic

knappeduivel

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
Amsterdam
But your bank card also adds an extra layer: either Bancontact or the credit card company.

and I doubt you can take your bank card faster out of your wallet, register it and then enter your PIN code (when over 50 euro). Paying with iPhone or Apple Watch is much more convenient.
I don't use Bancontact or a credit card.

Doubt all you want but I tell you, I can produce my bank card faster than my iphone.

And calm down, I am not trying to get you to drop Apple wallet, I just claim it is not convenient for knappeduivel.

dca100

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
If you were to get an Apple Watch (or if you already own one) I think you'll find that Apple Pay on an Apple Watch is far more convenient and equally reliable (or more so) than a bank card - or a phone - for contactless. Double tap the long button, done.

It's also extremely reliable in my experience. I just spent 5 days at a festival where contactless payments were the only option. I made dozens of micro payments for food and drinks but didn't need my wallet/bank card or phone for payments at any point.

Last edited:

knappeduivel

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
Amsterdam
If you were to get an Apple Watch (or if you already own one) I think you'll find that Apple Pay is far more convenient and equally reliable (or more so) than a bank card - or a phone - for contactless. Double tap the long button, done.

It's also extremely reliable in my experience. I just spent 5 days at a festival where contactless payments were the only option. I made dozens of micro payments for food and drinks but didn't need my wallet/bank card or phone for payments at any point.
To each his own. My bank card does contactless payments without double tapping long buttons. Also it the battery never seems to be empty.
How is a phone more reliable?

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I set up Apple Pay (linked to an ING credit card) on the Watch at the beginning of the pandemic. Double-tapping the watch button through the jacket sleeve and just holding the arm near the terminal works. The confirmation buzz (a notification from the ING app with the exact amount) on the watch happens even before the cashier machine starts printing the receipt.

The cards in my wallet are backups really, never had to use it though.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
For me, the biggest selling point is that using Apple Pay means the merchant gets a “one time use” credit card number on your behalf, and not your actual card number. Then if the merchant has a data breach and alerts customers that credit card info was compromised, you won’t have to worry since it was a temporary card number anyway.

And credit card companies like Apple Pay since the customer is being authenticated (by Touch or Face ID), thus lowering the odds of fraud, so they’re happy to give Apple their cut.

Over the years, I’ve had a couple of minor random charges appear on my credit card that the company quickly reversed for me. Maybe my card number was skimmed at a gas station or ATM, who knows. Nothing major for me to deal with, but I still enjoy the extra peace of mind Apple Pay gives.

Last edited:
Reactions: hagar

hagar

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I don't use Bancontact or a credit card.

If you don’t use Bancontact it’s very unlikely you have a Belgian bank card, and you don’t pay in Belgian shops. Because they almost all use the Bancontact network.

lartola

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2017

ING Belgium today announced support for Apple Pay, offering the bank's customers another way to pay using contactless without needing their physical debit card to hand.

ing-belgium-apple-pay.jpg

The 1.4 million customers who do their banking via the ING Banking app will now be able to use their ING cards with Apple Pay to make payments even more easily, said the bank in a press release.
ING said it had recorded 51.5 million contactless payments during the first five months of 2021, compared to 21.5 million over the same period last year. The contactless payments are said to have accounted for half of all in-store debit card payments and had an average amount of €19.

With support for Apple Pay now live, ING customers will have the added benefit of paying for things using their iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac, without having to enter their PIN, even for amounts over 50 euros.

ING already offers Apple Pay in the Netherlands, France, Italy, Spain, Romania, Poland, Australia and Germany. Apple Pay launched in Belgium in November 2018. The digital payment method first launched in the United States in October 2014 and has since expanded to many other countries around the globe.

Article Link: ING Belgium Announces Support for Apple Pay
You guys forgot to post an article about Mexico. Starting today, support for Apple Pay is available with visa cards from several banks in Mexico. Previously only Amex and Mastercard were supported in the country.

Reactions: darkslide29

jorikc

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
Eindhoven, The Netherlands

I think it’s supposed to show an ice cream with 2 cones, one from the bottom and one from the top, this screenshot is maybe more clear:
B10BFB4A-8904-4F87-9075-DA811D7C6E02.jpeg

While I live pretty close to Belgium (actually in The Netherlands), I haven’t seen this style ice cream in real life either 😆

a-v-k

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2019
Luxembourg
They didn't like Apple Pay because in the Benelux we have horrible stuff like Bancontact and Payconiq. No one really knows how Bancontact or Payconiq work, neither how private it is, but no one seems to care.
Eventually they caved it seems.
Hello from financial and digital capital of Europe, namely Luxembourg, where vacintion invitations are sent by post and EU Digital Covid Pass exists as a sheet of paper. 🤣
Folks, you are lucky, your era of ApplePay with ING starts now, and for us Payconiq arrives on August 9th (to replace DiGiCash), so couple more years and ING Lexembourg will introduce ApplePay 😂

• Haha
Reactions: mr.bee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.