Initial backup to time machine via USB?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Murl, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Murl macrumors member

I have a macbook air with 140GB of stuff, is it possible to do the first one via USB since there is no ethernet port?

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

it is possible just plug an external hard drive into the USB port and select it as the destination for your time machine backup. I'm not quite sure how you were planning to backup using the ethernet port.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

you want to go to the internal drive in the time capsule?
    don't think so.

you might have some success going to an external USB drive, then moving that drive over to the time capsule.

otherwise, if you have the new air with thunder bolt, sounds like an excuse to buy the new cinema display also as it has a gig-ethernet connection on it. :)

you'll probably just have to set it up and let it run, will take a bit but shouldn't be to bad.
    make sure you're on the N network for the fastest speed.

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

N speed is only for wireless.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

really???????
    thanks for that.

the OP has already stated that he has no wired, so he's possibly using wireless (unless you want to enlighten us on a third option??????), which would be why i was giving suggestions for wireless use.

also, since you can't figure this out, i believe the original poster mis-spoke and said time machine instead of time capsule, so he was planing on running an ethernet cable between the computer and the time capsule, and using that to back up the computer.

6. Murl thread starter macrumors member

I Wish

7. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp