Initial battery test are very good for the Mini 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mystro, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

After some initial battery testing today, I can report that the battery life is very good for the Mini 4

1 hour of Netfix with the screen at 50% volume at 75% and location services on yielded only a 7% per hour loss. That is almost exactly what my IPad 3 does in the same performance test. My iPad 3 tablet is the gold standard of which I judge all other tablets by in battery life.

My Galaxy Tab S with every battery saver method activated looses 15.3% per hour.

So I would conclude that 10+ hours of web streaming Netflix is what the iPad Mini 4 will do.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

As expected. Battery life has never really been an issue for the Mini line.

3. Mystro thread starter macrumors 6502

Mystro

I wasn't sure coming from the tab S since it had horrific battery life . I was a little concerned because the Mini 4 is even thinner than the Tab S. Way to go Apple!

4. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

This is indeed good news - thank you for posting your experience.

It is good to get some actual user feedback, since the capacity of the battery itself has actually been reduced from 6.47 A-Hr to 5.12 A-Hr compared to the mini 3 per the iFixit teardown of the mini 4. The new energy management capability of iOS 9 must be providing some benefit here.

5. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

To add, there is a face down-low power mode for ios 9 that I read up about this morning. That could help.

6. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

I've used 13+ hours yesterday. Full usage time, mostly safari and YouTube stuff. And there were 6% left. Pretty happy with that

7. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

Isn't that iPhone only?

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Yes.

9. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

That's pretty amazing, I never got close to that on my iPad Air.

But maybe Netflix drains faster than youtube, though I am not sure why it would.

10. Mystro thread starter macrumors 6502

Mystro

That's great. Then we both have come up with about the same amount of battery life. Looks like around 13 hours is not that hard achieve.

11. Mystro thread starter macrumors 6502

Mystro

Are you closing all your background apps and keeping the screen brightness below 50%?

12. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

I t
    I don't think background apps is the problem. Apple has managed this pretty good, I'm never closed anything and still getting more then 10 hours battery life.

The battery life really depends heavily how you use it. Like safari, I may open a page ever minute, but someone may do this every 30 seconds, loading pages uses s lot battery... So I'd say 8-13 hours is pretty normal for a 10hours-specd battery

13. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

Like I said, it really depends on personal usage preference. I'd say it has pretty much the same battery life as air 2. Sometimes I get 12,13 hours, sometimes I get 8,9 hours. Depends on how I sue them and where/when I use them (cellular or wifi, screen brightness, speaker volume etc..)

14. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

Ah no, i really dislike low brightness. That might explain faster drain then

15. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

yes, so I discovered earlier today.

16. Mystro thread starter macrumors 6502

Mystro

Second battery test:
    Surfing the internet/checking email/forum chatting while watching Hulu in PIP yielded me a 5% loss per hour.
    Screen brightness was set at 45%, volume at 40% and location services were on.