Initial Font Size Observations for Aging Eyes - 6/7/8 vs X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jiholl, Nov 4, 2017.

1. jiholl macrumors member

So I have a X coming from a 6s. Some observations so far re font size:

• On the X, there is no "Display Zoom" setting as there is on the 6/7/8 or plus models for that matter.....this is likely due to complications with the notch, etc.
    • Display Zoom allows you to increase all of the UI elements and THEN use the Dynamic Font size adjustments to increase font in many apps.
    • Generally, in the Apple Apps and in apps that seem to use Dynamic Fonts, I can adjust the font to a totally acceptable size with jus the Dynamic Font adjustments.
    • BUT...I have noticed that in the Safari, Goggle, and Chrome browsers, the Dynamic Font settings do NOT change the font size.
    • I compared the size of the fonts in search results and in web sites like CNN....its interesting....
    • Comparing my 6s to my X, with Display Zoom enabled on the 6s, the font on the 6s in these browser apps is bigger than the font in the same apps on the X. The X, having a taller screen, does show more content BUT the font of that content is smaller....so usability is not as good.
    • Interestingly, you can "pinch and zoom" in Safari so that helps some....but inconvenient,,,BUT you can not pinch and zoom in The Google browsers....perhaps you can on some sites, but not on what I tested.?
    • There does not seem to be any other way to increase default font size int he browsers?
    • Seems odd that the bigger, new phone has the smaller font results...seems like the loss of Display Zoom is to blame...perhaps can be reimplemented as more apps get used to the new screen layout???
    Thoughts?, Similar or different observations? Thanks

2. ZipZap macrumors 603

These is a font size setting in IOS. Under "Display and Brightness". Some apps don't work well with larger sizes.

3. itsmilo macrumors 68030

itsmilo

font size setting isnt the same as display zoom

4. jiholl thread starter macrumors member

Exactly :)

5. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, text is going to be smaller on the iPhone X which is going to suck if your eyesight requires larger fonts.