Initial Hook up for Airport Extreme 802.11n

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacbookPro NOOB, Feb 16, 2009.

1. MacbookPro NOOB macrumors newbie

Hi,

So yeah..I'm a Mac noob and just purchased a Macbook Pro.

I'm a trying to hook up the Airport Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi, and I have some basic questions.

First. I have a Dell PC in my den hooked up with DSL to a Motorola modem that came standard with my Bell South DSL account.

How do I go about hooking the Airport Extreme up so that is COMPLETELY separate from the Dell setup. I have another phone jack in a separate room.

What wires do I need to purchase? Adapters? Do I need a separate modem?
    Separate (gulp) account?? :(

Any help you can provide me would be MOST APPRECIATED.

Thanks in advance,
    Marc

2. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

If I understand you are refering to the airport card in your MacBook Pro, not an Airport Extreme Base Station router that you purchased from apple.

Unless you have a totally separate internet connection dedicated to your MacBook Pro, you can't do what you want to do. It's basic networking principles that apply here. If you want your MBP to be completely separate from the Dell, and not share that connection in any way you need a secondary ISP. Though there's really absolutely no good reason to do that.

What would be a better idea is to invest in a nice router from here or here and use the router to share your internet connection wirelessly via your Motorola modem.

It would look something like this.
    Internet Connection From Wall > Motorola Modem >(via Ethernet cable) to Wireless Router (Linksys or Airport Extreme Base STation).

From there you can keep your dell plugged directly to the router via Ethernet cable if you don't have a wireless card in your Dell, then use the wireless signal for your MBP.

Good luck.

3. MacbookProNOOB3 macrumors newbie

:)

Working fine now..ALL SET :)

Thanks for your help!