Initial hook up of Ipad with "non home computer"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Derek87, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Derek87 macrumors 6502

hi, maybe a silly question, but i get the impression that when i get my ipad, to begin using it, it will need to connect to "a computer" with itunes.

if i do that, what happens when i hook it up with my computer at home (which will officially become its itunes home). will everything get wiped out when i do that?

for eg, if i choose to start uploading applications (after initially starting it up on my work computer), will i be able to sync it with my home computer without them being erased? (i would upload the applications directly onto the ipad, not using itunes on my work computer)

i just want to get a jump start on setting it up, but of course don't want to have all of that work wiped out when i connect it at home.

any thoughts/comments/experiences appreciated.

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

You will be fine. It needs to be hooked to a computer initially just to do some initial setup. You won't lost anything if you hook it up to another computer later. You can use the transfer purchases option to backup purchases on either computer.

3. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks! that makes sense...i just wanted to be sure.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

Don't forget to check "manually manage music and videos" which will then allow you to add content (music, books, video) from any of your computers without needing to sync.

5. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks. turns out it was very straightforward as suggested previously. connected, registered, and then just quite itunes and i was able to let it go without choosing to "link" it to any libraries, restore based on my other iOS devices etc.