Initial Impression: Power Support Body Guard Skins

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Khryz, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I just received the Power Support Body Guard for my 15" MBP today. It's 2 films for the outside top and bottom of the MBP to protect it was scratches.

It's a very easy installation (dry), but you do need a couple tries to get it to look centered. However, one huge drawback to this film is for some reason it is HUGELY susceptible to scratches. Just 10 minutes since I put it on and there's plenty of scratches from my fingers just smoothing it out and me using a squee-gee that got from Wrapsol's iPhone 4 kit to remove bubbles.

I am not very happy that my computer already looks damaged, even though it isn't. I know that it's not like I plan on taking my computer out as much as my iPhone but this is ugly.

I wouldn't recommend it. I already e-mailed them back and am contemplating a refund and going with Wrapsol's skins because I assume they'll actually be resistant to scratches.

2. atrac7 macrumors regular

sorry to hear this...i have the wrapsol it is fantastic.

i think usually the wet install skins provide the anti-scratch spec that you are looking for. dry install skins are almost always the easy to scratch ones that just act as the last layer of defense between it and the computer. invest in the wrapsol and you won't look back. it can be a pain to install though so patience is the key.

3. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

How was it installing the Wrapsol with the wet install on your MBP?

I'm pretty afraid of getting water near my computer .. though I assume you just lightly spray the skins and apply?

I may have to rip off these skins and get a Wrapsol. Though the BestSkinsEver skins are half the price of Wrapsol .. so we'll see.

4. atrac7 macrumors regular

It is not that bad...just be patient and careful. I put a thin towel inside of the computer (so resting above the keyboard, and lightly closed the lid).

That way when I would squeegee outward it would soak into the towel. Obviously when you squeegee you want to push towards the FRONT of the computer (so where the latch is) as there aren't really any slots or openings to potentially harm the computer. Also, you can always just get pieces of tape or something and cover any openings you wish before applying.

You spray a good amount, but you don't do it on the computer, but rather on the skin. It is not really a messy or drippy situation, just be careful and use good judgment.