Initial impressions of ipad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RobNor, Apr 7, 2011.

1. RobNor macrumors regular

Got my ipad 2 yesterday and pretty impressed. I have had an ipad 1 for nearly a year and couldn’t resist an upgrade.One negative first impression is that my unit does have some backlight bleed,not serious though,the ipad 1 didn’t have any noticeable bleed.Compared to ipad 1 the screen is much brighter and is clearly sharper (text looks better) and the viewing angles are better.The screen is more like the iphone 4 and the image appears to float on top of the glass.

One query I have is that my ipad 1 has a warmer screen tone the same as my iphone 4 but the ipad 2 is more neutral.Are all the ipad 2 screens like this or is there the same variation as there was on the ipad 1 / iphone 4? I think I prefer the more neutral tone,colours look better than on the ipad 1

It’s certainly snappier in operation than ipad 1,Safari pages load faster, most Apps show at least some speed improvement and some games that showed frame rate drop on ipad 1 run more smoothly on ipad 2 even though they haven’t been rewritten to take advantage of the dual core CPU or the improved graphics chip,more RAM also helps although I would have liked to have seen 1GB.One cricket game I have is much worse on ipad 2 with considerable frame rate drop to the extent that It’s almost unplayable,there may be others Apps that have problems but I haven’t had a chance to try all of them yet

The internal speaker is louder for the same volume setting compared to ipad 1 and sounds a little less tinny.Initial impressions of the headphone output is that there is more detail than ipad 1 but the overall sound is slightly lighter with a little less bass.The smart covers are really neat but I would have liked them to have provided some protection for the rear.The dock connecter is a much tighter fit than on previous Apple IOS devices I have had

BTW didn’t restore from a backup as it came up with an error.

2. miamijim macrumors 6502

Have had my iPad since release day last year.

I held an iPad 2 for the first time last night, they are available in Stockmään in Finland.

I was blown away by how thin the thing was, I was so impressed with it I put my iPad1 straight up on CL.