Initial impressions with an Apple Watch thus far

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ackmondual, Apr 12, 2015.

1. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Was close by, so walked into an Apple Store to see if I could check it out. I'm told you need an appointment, but that's only if you want a "one-on-one" experience with an App Store rep. You're free to look at the various models, bands, and watch pieces themselves behind a glass barrier. They also have watches tethered to a block sitting on the table which provides a way to try out the interface. No Iph interaction, as it wasn't tethered to an Iph, so the watch was just preloaded with stuff.

The rep had a free slot for an appointment on the spot. Took my apple ID. Asked what I heard about it thus far. She opened up a 'hidden drawer' beneath the table of the iWatches that required an "open sesame" key fob like device (an Iphone inside a large case with other electronics in it) to access the various models for trying on.

Sport watch with the rubber band just "clipped on" via a "nub/peg" through a hole. Steel one had an butterfly clasp that was neat. There were also leather ones. One with a traditional buckle. The other with a magnetic seal. I tried the latter one and it was neat. Similar to closing an Ipad/Mini with a Smart cover. You just physically press it to there and it stays in place. The rep said she was really sold on that, and ordered one for herself ($700, expected to be delivered to her place around May). Talked with another rep, also ordered the $700 model. Is this just for show, or did they really buy them? If the latter, nice to see them able to afford nice stuff as such.

Good stuff overall. You really couldn't go wrong getting one of these things if that's what you're into. You really don't need it, as many others will be just as happy sticking with just their Iph. However, many of us that are interested may indeed be better off served waiting for a 2nd or even 3rd generation to get better specs and improvements. Even if it does poorly, Apple will ALWAYS manage to spin it to make it look like it did well. They are the masters of PR and perception. Heck, the employees there seem to be going overboard a bit on getting visitors excited about it.

2. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

And they get 50 off so it's 350 for employees

3. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Employees get the watches at 50% off.

4. ackmondual thread starter macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Was not aware of that. :cool: Wonder if this extends to the $10K and $17K models too.

Seems like a plausible plot to date an Apple Store employee for the discount :rolleyes:;)

5. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5