Initial restore method potentially affecting battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoeTomasone, Sep 21, 2014.

1. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

I am at the Apple Store right now with my battery issue. I was down to 58% around 5 hours after unplugging my 6 from the charger overnight, and with 1 hour or so in airplane mode while According to the diagnostics, several apps are crashing, and they may be re-doing whatever task is causing it to crash repeatedly, thereby hogging battery life. Apparently this does NOT show in the "Battery Usage" stats.

I was asked if I had set up my 6 from iCloud or iTunes. When I said that I had done it with iTunes, the Genius recommended that I restore from iCloud. I am in the process of doing that now. Should this not fix the issue, he recommends starting from scratch. (Ouch).

So, here's the question: How did you set up your 6, and are you having battery issues?

2. Sulten macrumors regular

Sulten

I cloud back up that i saved before getting the 6, i had 9 hrs of battery use with about 10% left. on my secound day so will know if it holds or etc. when i got my 6 i didnt charge it. I let it run all the way down that day and plugged in for about 3 hrs to full charge..

3. JoeTomasone thread starter macrumors 6502

So far, it seems that there might be something to this. I'm starting to see *better* but not *great* battery life. However, I am still (hours later) "Restoring from iCloud Backup", so hopefully that will be sorted overnight and I can try fresh tomorrow.

4. Johnny907 macrumors 6502a

Johnny907

I restored from iTunes backup, and then immediately reset all my Network Settings, as I do everytime I restore a new phone from a previous backup. Doing so eliminates 99.9% of any problems where battery life or wireless performance is concerned, and should be common practice for anyone doing an update/restore.

5. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

I restored from iTunes backup and also reset network settings. Unplugged the phone about 10 AM at 100% charge. Today I've made voice calls for about 30 minutes and spent about an hour texting. Spent about 30 mins web browsing. I ran a few speed tests through speedtest app and updated 2 apps today. Used a couple other non-intensive apps I'd say about 20 minutes total. I've had wifi turned on all day and live in a high-rise so cellular signal is somewhat weaker and that may affect battery as well. Not an active day at all with the phone. It is now 8:20 PM and my battery has 80% left. Pretty par for the course so far for me I'd say, not yet noticing anything unusual. I also asked a Genius about this as well while at the store and he said it didn't matter if I backup via iCloud or iTunes, fwiw.

6. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

7. JoeTomasone thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, it's confirmed - restoring from iCloud fixed it for me. The phone was not hot when I took it off charge this morning and has remained cool all day, unlike the first two days.

Took it off charge at 8:00 this morning, and after light usage (mostly in standby) it is at 76% as of roughly 4:30. This is more like it! Yesterday at 2:25 I was at 46%.

8. r-m macrumors 6502a

Please fill this form in:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1BXvQW-gRP1GQvx06ElACCTu3dPhOe9JX42P22Z6VVwI/viewform
    :)

Also please use actual times off the "battery usage" screen in settings, and not "anecdotal" usage.
    Thanks!

9. JoeTomasone thread starter macrumors 6502

10pm and I still have 41% battery life. I wouldn't say I used it a lot today, but I did play a few games for a few minutes and was in a low signal area during lunch, which balances it out a bit. :)

I'm pretty happy now; hopefully I will stay that way.