Initial Set-up and Export to DVD for Live Wire and FCE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TheRyGuy, Mar 18, 2009.

1. TheRyGuy macrumors newbie

I am trying to piece together a fairly simple movie with text animation coming in from Live Wire and incorporated with existing video that I will import and overlay in Final Cut Express. I will need to burn to a DVD (with iDVD) to view on a widescreen TV.

I want the final movie to appear on a widescreen TV and not be pixelated or overly compressed. I have read the manuals 5 times and get more confused each time!!!

1. What initial settings are required for proper W"xH" & High quality resolution on widescreen TV ?
    2. What export settings do I use to burn to a DVD?

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

You will only be able to make a DVD with SD resolution, you do understand this limitation of DVDs right? You can make it widescreen ( 16:9 ), but you can't increase the resolution.

Have you tried to do anything of this yet? If you've read the manual, just playing around with this, you should be able to figure it out. Pretty sure there's even a step by step tutorial on how to export FCE quicktime movies for iDVD.

What version of FCE and what version of iDVD do you have?

3. TheRyGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Limitations of DVD... Honestly, no I do not... SD will still look OK I assume?

What I have done, looks very pixelated. But I think I have compressed one too many times. Reading the manual (only avail. on-line) again, it looks as if I need to compress for MPEG-2 for the DVD?

I just purchased the FCE HD last week, the iDVD is the last version before iLife08.

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

iDVD will handle the MPEG2 compression for you. You should send the quicktime file i.e. "save as quicktime file" ( not "save with quicktime conversion" ) to iDVD, and it will handle all that for you.
    Within iDVD make sure you select professional quality or best quality. ( unless your material is longer than 1.5-2 hours, then you'll have to do lower quality )

Does that make sense?

5. TheRyGuy thread starter macrumors newbie