Initial setup of SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gogogut, Aug 16, 2012.

1. gogogut macrumors member

I just bought a Crucial m4 128GB to install in my old black Macbook 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo (3,1) running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
    I have a few questions before I begin the install process.
    What are the best first steps to take for the initial install?
    Download and update firmware to SSD?
    Erase and set up GUID drive with Disk Utility?
    Enable TRIM?
    Install OS?
    I am just wondering if there is a best order of operations for accomplishing all of these tasks? I would hate to install everything and then find it was too late to update the firmware or enable TRIM.
    Also, I wonder if I should take this opportunity to upgrade to Lion. My main concern is that I am trying to finish my dissertation and want no tech issues with Microsoft Word and Endnote. I am still using Office 2008 and a no longer supported version of Endnote. I have not upgraded either one because I do not want to risk compatability issues. Once I am done with my dissertation, I will happily upgrade Office, or leave it all together for something cheaper/free. Furthermore, I had lots of things stolen during a recent move, including my software (e.g., Office, Endnote, OS disks). So I do not want to upgrade to Lion if it means I need to re-enter registration info. If that is the case, I would rather just clone my current hard drive and keep using Snow Leopard for the time being. What do you think? What is the path of least resistance to continuing to use my Word/Endnote setup?
    Thanks in advance for all your help,
    RJ

2. WesCole macrumors 6502a

What I would do is try to find an external enclosure to put the SSD in. Then format it with GUID from disk utility.

Disregard this: Then, I would go ahead and upgrade to Mountain Lion instead of Lion on your current drive. I have Office 2011 for Mac and it works fine with ML.

Then, use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner (the older versions are free and can still be found, but it is worth the money if you choose to buy it) and clone your current drive to your new drive still in the enclosure. Then, when it is done cloning, boot to your SSD in the external enclosure just to make sure everything is working (it will probably be slow if you are using USB 2.0). After it successfully boots, then you can just swap out drives since your SSD will now be identical to your current drive.

Hope this helps...it is what I did recently with my Thunderbolt SSD on my iMac.

***Edit: I forgot you had Office 2008 and not 2011. In that case, just clone your drive like it is and you can always upgrade later.

3. gogogut thread starter macrumors member

A little lost

Thanks for the speedy reply. However, I am a little unclear on your ultimate recommendation. Are you saying to skip the Lion upgrade and just clone my Snow Leopard setup? That way I avoid any issues with continuing to use Word/Endnote.
    I already have Super Duper so can easily clone to the SSD and then physically swap it in. I just wondered if I should take advantage of this moment to upgrade to Lion.
    Thanks,
    RJ

4. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Sorry, my mind wandered a little bit when typing that reply. :)

I would clone your current drive just the way it is, with Snow Leopard on it. That way you won't run into any issues. Then, when you are ready, you can upgrade later. I would skip Lion and go straight to Mountain Lion when you decide to upgrade, though.

5. gogogut thread starter macrumors member

Sometimes no change is best

Thanks for the advice. But I do not think Mountain Lion will work on my old black macbook. Regardless, I just want to do what is best for this mac to get a couple more years of life. I may try Lion after the dissertation, but there seem to be too many risks involved with doing the upgrade now. Later I can do Lion and upgrade Office to whatever makes sense at that point. But for now, the upgrade would risk somethings not speaking well with each other and jeopardizing my set up.
    Thanks again,
    RJ

6. nyclaw macrumors newbie

I want to do the same thing, but I've got a 750gig hd in the white macbook now and will replace that with the 128gb ssd. I will then place the 750gig hd in the optibay. What's the best way to move applications to the ssd (and at what stage) and either leave the 750hd as is in the optibay (applicaction wise) or remove the apps from the 750 hd?

7. gogogut thread starter macrumors member

A little different

Your situation is different than mine. I just did a complete clone from my old HDD to my new SSD. Everything worked perfectly and I am loving my new drive.
    Hopefully someone else can help you with your specific situation of separating applications from documents.
    Good luck! It is well worth it:)
    RJ