Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Since many new owners picked up XS and XS Max devices today, what are your initial thoughts after a few hrs?

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I really enjoy the bigger screen, to be honest. After a few hours of using it, my iPhone X feels small again.

I have always had Plus iPhones.

I was hesitant to go with another big screen like the Max, but having used for a bit? I think I will like it because I can get a somewhat slimmer profile than a Note 9.

gkn1999

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2017
Got the XS. FaceID is SOOO fast I barely notice it. It is a very zippy phone. I can definitely tell a difference coming from an X. I also love the gold color.

Reactions: jimbob4 and nviz22

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Got the XS. FaceID is SOOO fast I barely notice it. It is a very zippy phone. I can definitely tell a difference coming from an X. I also love the gold color.

Do you have "require attention" turned on? If yes, turning it off makes FaceID faster.
[doublepost=1537552291][/doublepost]
I went from a 8+ to an Xs and I’m so glad I did. Love the smaller form factor! It’s an awesome upgrade and I’m loving FaceID

I like the XS' form factor more than the XS Max in terms of size, but battery life and the slim profile are two things that swayed me to the XS Max because it's a good enough form factor to compromise with going bigger.

Reactions: fryfrkhlly

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
X to Max... will take some time getting used to the size, though the jump in size from 7 to X felt more significant, I had to really change how I held/used the phone. Face ID is a little faster but everything else seems about the same speed, opening apps etc. my max is actually a bit stuttery atm, hoping it’s just doing a lot of background work setting everything up. Time will tell.

Reactions: nviz22

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I really enjoy the bigger screen, to be honest. After a few hours of using it, my iPhone X feels small again.

I have always had Plus iPhones.
This. Still have my old X. And when I put both side by side. I started wondering how I even used a smaller phone than the plus size models before. I was hesitant at first to get the Max. But the screen size makes a huge difference to me once I started using the Max. May never revert back to a smaller screen lol.

cc00lltt00nn

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Buford, GA
Glad to have the large form factor back, the display is vibrant and bright, the camera is a-mazing and makes my X look like crap, and FaceID is much faster. Haven't had a chance to test the speakers yet.

Rava

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
I went from a 6 to an XS and I love it so far! The screen is so big and bright. I was able to switch between two games without going back to the loading screen. And the pictures are way better than what I'm used to.

I was a little worried about the size increase because the 6 was already a little awkward for me to use one-handed, but I feel like I'm already getting used to it. I've moved my most used icons closer to the left side of the screen, which has helped a lot. I can no longer turn it sideways in my pocket, but I was pretty sure I'd lose that when I saw the specs.

Overall, it's a huge upgrade for me and I'm very happy with it.

infoghost

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2015
Maine
I'm liking mine, coming from an 8+. But it's heavier for sure, I felt it more in my pocket while on a walk at lunch. But to be fair, that's how I felt when I first got a + phone, and I got used to it and barely noticed later on. I just can't give up the big screen and battery, I might like the size and weight of the XS, but I'd probably be disappointed with those two things.

seriouslyjaded

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
iPhone 6s to Max. Wow, what a difference. Just awesome in every way. So impressed with Face ID and how fast this phone is. I was worried it would be too big but it’s not at all. My wife is jealous. Lol

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Here are my initial thoughts: I love the screen so far. I am glad I took a chance on a larger form factor. Haven't tried the camera. I cannot notice a huge speed difference or not. I think I am finally content with a device I can use for years to come. Normally, I upgrade at least a few times a year. With my iPhone and Apple Watch combo, an upgrade next year would be highly unnecessary.

I doubt I will even frequent iOS news as much since I know only day that really matters each year, for the next couple years, are future WWDC keynote events. Maybe iOS updates that are important as well, like Group FaceTime.

Hope everyone continues to enjoy their new iPhones and Apple Watches.

Reactions: karmamule

piecookie

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Went from 7 to Xs and I'm extremely impressed by Face ID, it's amazing how fast it is. Wow, just wow.

My only concern right now is that this phone is hard to use one-handed and I feel tired in my hand. Not sure what to do about that.

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
It is still setting up, but my sole complaint about the X (coming from "plus" phones 6/7/8) was that the X was tall and beautiful but a little too thin. So you lost some usable real estate - especially in landscape compared with the Plus. It was fairly immersive though.

Now, with the Max, you have the best of both worlds. The same height/width as the large Plus, plus the extensions up and down. The "wings" around the notch are larger by a good amount too. It's a HUGE upgrade screen wise. Super immersive.

I also noticed the Face ID is -much- more forgiving on angle and it's faster. Like just a beat faster but it's noticeable.

I haven't been able to try out anything else yet. Things that are big plusses to me though are:

4X MIMO LTE (2 more antenna)
The much better wide angle camera (it's a lot better in low light)
"wider dynamic range" video (that's new)
stabilization on selfie camera for video
much louder/wider speakers
stereo sound recording

Whether all of this is worth $1500 is another point. But it certainly is the best of the best

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
Worth every penny so far, def glad it stands out compared to last years cheaper / older tech. Loved my X but the show must go on!

Koobs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
Went from X to Xs Max. It's awesome, everything I've expected it to be. The sound coming from the speakers is amazing. Glad to be back to the bigger style phone.

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
I upgraded from a 7 to the XS. Was a bit skeptical regarding Face ID vs Touch ID but at least for the few hours I could play with it Face ID was super fast. The XS was freezing up a few times in the settings screen, but I guess this is still first day indexing etc. The screen quality and camera are a huge upgrade vs the 7 and the XS is hardly any larger which is a big plus for me as I don't want an iPad mini in my pocket. Given it's 4GB RAM and processor and me taking the plunge for 256GB storage I don't think I need to upgrade for 3-4 years (typically I was on the every other year cycle).

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
Question, am I suppose to charge the phone first? Also, am I suppose to put in my current SIM card into the new one?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Question, am I suppose to charge the phone first? Also, am I suppose to put in my current SIM card into the new one?

Be Sure you have iCloud activated, back up all your data, then when you go to activate your new iPhone, before you power it on, insert your Sim card, then follow the descriptors to restore your iPhone from backup or set up as new device if you so wish.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Since many new owners picked up XS and XS Max devices today, what are your initial thoughts after a few hrs?

Phenomenal, the phone I've been waiting years for! This is in regard to the hardware, as I still feel iOS has a ways to go. I've been griping about getting rid of the bezels for YEARS, everyone laughed at me at first, but now it's a reality. In terms of the screen I really can't ask for anything more short of a foldable display, I'm not sure how Apple is going to top itself next year. Xs Max perfect size for those who want a huge screen such as myself, but at the same time the Xs is a very nice size and those of you who like smaller phones don't have to feel like you are sacrificing much.
[doublepost=1537564991][/doublepost]

On Verizon mine auto activated, didn't have to swap sims. When setting up the new phone it will prompt you if you have your old iPhone to place them next to each other, then it prompts you through the setup including activation, no SIM swap required. VERY slick IMO.

Reactions: millydog and nviz22

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2013
The screen and speakers on my XS Max are a amazing. It’s nice having all the screen real estate back ( from the X ) for typing and browsing. The gold color is also very slick on the stainless steel. With the black, it looks top notch.

Reactions: millydog and nviz22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.