Initial TODO's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by julienkessels, Dec 1, 2016.

1. julienkessels macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I'm gonna get my MBP 13" 3.1Ghz i5 16GB Ram 512GB SSD early next week.

I remember seeing some threads where people suggested doing some resets (SMC,..) or even simply reinstalling the Complete OS.

What is recommended ?

2. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

Slightly off-topic, but what made you go for the 3.1GHz i5 instead of the standard 2.9GHz CPU?

3. julienkessels thread starter macrumors newbie

I probably should have gone with the 15" because of the quad core, because I do a lot of programming but i wanted to stay with the 13" ( I currently have the 13" early 2011 ). People said for the 100 bucks the upgrade would be worth, but not 200 more for another upgrade !

4. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

Ahh, okay. I'm still trying to decide between the two choices. There's only a 60 point difference in single core performance in the Geekbench scores, but a slightly larger gap with multi-core. Not sure whether the extra cost is worth it for me.

5. thesaint024 macrumors 65816

thesaint024

Don't do anything special to the computer. I haven't done any of those things, but they seem to work for others that started off with bad battery life. All I would recommend is a clean install (don't migrate) and use as normal. And before jumping to any conclusions, let spotlight finish indexing and any photo syncing to complete. From there, if you have any issues, you can start exploring these other steps. Like I said, I haven't reinstalled or reset anything. I did add adblockers to browsers as some sites were drawing excessive power. My 13 TB is still running like day 2 (after installing, indexing, setup). Enjoy your new MBP!

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Unbox it and use it, it's a tool.