Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you want stickies in this Sub-Forum?

• Yes!

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • No, I like to read the same questions over and over again.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Since on one hand the same questions come up often and on the other the wish to have stickies in this sub-forum comes up as often, too, I decided to start this thread/poll.

Maybe the Mods will give us stickies, if enough people use the poll and say yes.

If this will not result in stickies, my next action will be posting a "stickies index thread" were we can list the threads that we see as "stickies" and bump it up from time to time, if it gets on the last page of this subforum.

When this happens we can use this thread here to discuss which threads should be in the stickies-index thread, comment things, or make suggestions for text revisions of stickies, et cetera.

Now, please feel free to discuss why you would or would not like any stickies at all.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
1. There is no problem sticking a thread if it contains relevant, unchanging information that is easy to find. At most, there should only be two to three stickies, otherwise, no one will read them.

2. Bumping a thread is against the rules.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I think we should definitely sticky skinniezinho's FAQ as it has pretty much an answer to every question newbies seem to ask over and over again.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've been a member of another forum since 2001. The mods and admins on that forum (often the same people) often assemble and link appropriate content for stickies on their own initiative.

I bring that up to make the following point. Why is this thread/petition even necessary? Shouldn't it be the mods/admins here asking the users what they think should be stickied and then keeping it organized? Shouldn't it be the mods/admins pointing the way to the stickies/FAQs?

No offense to the mods/admins. They are often busy and their work is voluntary. It just seems (to me) that their involvement here is heavily weighted to the discipline/commenting side versus administering the board. Or maybe it's just because I'm really only active in this forum. Perhaps it's different in the iPhone/Intel Mac forums?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
We do point the way to a info through stickies, but often people don't bother to read stickies, so we only try to stick information that is truly helpful to almost every member.

A member mentioned a FAQ - can I get a link to check it out?

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
We do point the way to a info through stickies, but often people don't bother to read stickies, so we only try to stick information that is truly helpful to almost every member.

A member mentioned a FAQ - can I get a link to check it out?

Here it is. I feel this is the only necessary sticky we need, as it answers all of the questions that come up frequently.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Awesome, should definitely decrease the number of redundant question that get asked numerous times every week.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Awesome, should definitely decrease the number of redundant question that get asked numerous times every week.

Maybe, maybe not; can't make people read it - most new members only see the New Thread button.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
1. There is no problem sticking a thread if it contains relevant, unchanging information that is easy to find. At most, there should only be two to three stickies, otherwise, no one will read them.

2. Bumping a thread is against the rules.

"# Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent. See why and how to avoid bumping. "
point 7 from the "minor problems" section under rules.

I would argue, that while not adding content to the thread, bumping in this very scenario would add content (information) by bringing worthy information in an easy to find position, which will "add" new content to the knowledge of newbies. :D

Interesting, you did not know the FAQ-Thread, but that leads me to the conclusion that you are not a PowerPC-sub-forum-Mod in particular and so I have to even more thank you for finally sticking this thread.

I think we should definitely sticky skinniezinho's FAQ as it has pretty much an answer to every question newbies seem to ask over and over again.
agree, plus he keeps it updated with new links (like the helpful "video on PowerPC-Macs"-Thread that helps newbies that wonder why they can't watch flash) and has sorted the things very good.

(...) It just seems (to me) that their involvement here is heavily weighted to the discipline/commenting side versus administering the board. (...)
In other words: I would appreciate, if they would not that often time-out Zen.state. Allthough some maybe be pissed off by his self-confidence, he does not really harm one. In other forums people are timed-out, when they use swear words often or neglect the holocaust and the like. These things are more worthy to take care of. (people could just ignore him, if they do not like his reaction, this would shorten threads, too). But that is another topic.

Thanks to the Mod, for sticking the FAQ. (I think adding an "!" to front of the thread title displayed, would get it more attention. The tiny little pin needle does not make a big impression and will not tell people "maybe you want to read me first!"
But I that would be luxury, I am happy that we got the sticky :)

(not wanting to harm anyone!)

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I would argue, that while not adding content to the thread, bumping in this very scenario would add content (information) by bringing worthy information in an easy to find position, which will "add" new content to the knowledge of newbies. :D

Adding new content is fine, I just wanted to clarify that part from the beginning.

Interesting, you did not know the FAQ-Thread, but that leads me to the conclusion that you are not a PowerPC-sub-forum-Mod in particular and so I have to even more thank you for finally sticking this thread.

None of the mods here are assigned to any specific subforum, we all cover the entire forum. I don't own any PPC Macs, so I don't frequent this part often - I happened to see your thread in Forum Spy when you made it.

In other words: I would appreciate, if they would not that often time-out Zen.state. Allthough some maybe be pissed off by his self-confidence, he does not really harm one. In other forums people are timed-out, when they use swear words often or neglect the holocaust and the like. These things are more worthy to take care of. (people could just ignore him, if they do not like his reaction, this would shorten threads, too). But that is another topic.

The reason any member ends up in time out is private - only between them and the moderation team, so please don't speculate about details in public.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
The FAQ becoming a sticky is very good news! Even if many people probably will skip it, it's still nice to be able to find it quickly for reference in future "discussions" and of course for own interest (I have just barely made it out of the newbie-side of things myself. :))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.