Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GregX999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Hey, stupid newbie question here...

I'm trying to load an image from the Resources folder using initWithContentsOfFile. The code below always writes "Invalid Image" in the log. (And looking at the NSImage object in the debugger shows the "_name" as "Invalid".)

Code:
image = [[NSImage alloc] initWithContentsOfFile:@"player_ship.png"];

if (![image isValid]) {
	NSLog(@"Invalid Image");
}

I copied that file into the Resources folder in xCode, and if "View Package Contents" of the build, it's in the Resources folder there too. It's just a png file I saved via Photoshop's "Save for Web" function.

Is there anyway I can figure out what the problem is?

Thanks,
Greg

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
File paths in Cocoa must be absolute, and you're passing a relative path. To get the absolute path of a file in your app's Resources folder, you need to use the NSBundle class. Look at the docs, it should be fairly obvious.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
I would encourage looking this stuff up on your own as well, but since i already went to the trouble i figured i'd post what i found. You'll have to verify, i haven't tried compiling this or anything.
Code:
NSString *myImagePath = [[[NSBundle mainBundle] resourcePath]  stringByAppendingString:@"player_ship.png"];
NSImage *myImage = [[NSImage alloc] initWithContentsOfFile:myImagePath];

Relevant links:
NSBundle
http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENT...asses/NSBundle_Class/Reference/Reference.html

NSString
http://developer.apple.com/document...lasses/NSString_Class/Reference/NSString.html

-Lee

GregX999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Thanks guys! I wasn't even aware of NSBundle. It would be kind of nice if the docs for initWithContentsOfFile at least mentioned it.

Lee, your code worked except for a missing "/". It needed to be:
stringByAppendingString:mad:"/player_ship.png"

Greg

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
Ah, right. Might be better to use NSString's:
stringByAppendingPathComponent:

That will ensure the / is there:
Code:
NSString *myImagePath = [[[NSBundle mainBundle] resourcePath]  stringByAppendingPathComponent:@"player_ship.png"];

-Lee

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
There's also the handy pathForImageResource: method when dealing with images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.