Inivisible Shield, anyone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by LilMissFOB, Jan 6, 2009.

1. LilMissFOB macrumors newbie

LilMissFOB

My husband ordered one of these for the front/face of my iPhone. I want to put it on, but I've heard it's difficult. I plan to put it on and then put the CapsuleNeo case over it. Advice, thoughts ... anyone?

2. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

I hated the way the body IS looked and felt, and it was an absolute PITA to install. Never installed the screen part.

3. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

The face piece is relatively easy to put on. It's the back piece that's notoriously difficult.

The face piece also shouldn't affect the fit of a case, since virtually all cases leave the screen open anyway. It's the back piece that adds (a tiny amount of) width to the phone, affecting the fit of close-fitting cases.

4. calvy macrumors 65816

It's actually easier to install in my opinion than most screen protectors. This is because you put it on wet and can slide it around into place before it dries. I had one on my first gen iphone, but ended up taking it off and using other protection. I did not like the look and feel of the invisible shield.

5. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I had mine on for a few months. It is not difficult to put on. It is, however, very difficult to put it on properly aligned. Also, the corners started to peal up and collect a lot of dirt. And the screen protector started to have dents in it, I assume from my keys or pocket change, that would not come out and distorted the screen. Also the actual IS starts to turn kinda yellow, very noticeable on a white iphone. I just recently took mine off after a few months and couldn't be happier.

6. tekgeeek macrumors newbie

Invisible Shield

Yea the invisible shield is pretty damn hard to put on. You really only need the back part because the screen is made out of glass and will not scratch anyway. Anything that can damage your screen will damage it despite the invisible shield. You're better off getting a case for your phone instead...

7. revildab macrumors newbie

All those videos you see of people with pins and razors trying to scratch their glass screen mean nothing since glass is harder than most metals.

Try the test with a bit of sand or small rocks and they will make quick work of that glass. A trip to the beach can ruin your day if you manage to get sand in your pocket and your iphone isn't protected by some sort of screen protector.

It's better than nothing.

8. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

What he said, I have one fitted, it's not too hard to put on because the way you spray water on the protector and screen gives you time to align it before you squeegee the water back out. You do get an orange peel effect, but when the screen is on it is not noticeable. You will notice you have slightly more grip on the screen but its reassuring rather than annoying.

As for the protection its good, I recently had to replace my iPhone 3G but that had a screen protector from IS from launch with no ill side effects on the front piece. Because the plastic is slightly softer than other ones (like the power support which is very stiff plastic) the screen does slightly heal after being battered. Whereas my power support one has a big gash in it from dropping it onto a piece of glass.

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I used to have an invisible shield on my ipod touch before I upgraded to an iphone, the first invisible shield I had on the screen was great, but the second had small streaks in it that showed when the screen was lit up. It was bearable but it was a tad annoying. It all depends on if it is applied good. I recommend it anyway though.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just had (2) full-body IS on 3G iPhones at MWSF '09 and the installers Alex, Jeremy, and Scott had a ton of installs, but explained that it takes a bunch of patience to put the back on any iPhone/iPod b/c the corners are time consuming, but patience pays off, when the product is finished. All the customers were extremely satisfied during my two-hour visit & hang-around as they completed the installs on my (2) 3G iPhones. Well worth the wait, and their patience...:cool:

11. apple281 macrumors member

I was wondering how much you charge to install and if you have any contact info? thanks Aj

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Well, not wanting to sound like "the ShamWow guy" I don't work for zagg.com or IS. There is someone that can answer your question in these forums (Ms.Zagg), so maybe you can PM them...

13. christy333 macrumors newbie

I have just the screen one, as I have a really good case, and I wish I would've gotten one when I first got my phone, as I got a couple knicks in the first month or so without a screen protector. I foolishly listened to the AT&T guy who took a pair of scissors (probably very dull) to the demo phone's screen to show how scratch-proof it was. I'd recommend an IS. IT is difficult to put on, though. I've put on 2 and both times I had to lift and readjust before it dried. But it's highly worth it.

14. arcece macrumors newbie

Invivisible shield rocks!

Just thought I'd add 2 cents on the durability of invisible shield. I listen to podcasts while cycling, and at about 20mph my iphone fell out of it's holder and slid and bounced on the shoulder of the road. My first thoughts were"broken", but when I returned to the iphone, I found it unscratched, and even more impressive was Leo Laport was still talking!
    It is a pain to put the shield on, but I don't care for the bulk of most holders, seeing that I like mine in my front left pocket.........

15. LilMissFOB thread starter macrumors newbie

LilMissFOB

So it's a love/hate thing for most? You either love it or don't care for it at all? I suppose I will try it. I just worry that once it's on, and dried, I won't be able to get it off, or it will leave a residue? I plan on using it with the CapsuleNeo, if it ever arrives.

Thoughts on taking the shield off?

16. revildab macrumors newbie

It comes off without a problem and without any residue.

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ I had to remove my 1st IS from my v1 iPhone and it took a few seconds. IS has a lifetime warranty and they stand behind it 100% of the time. I saw someone bring in their mangled IS at MWSF '09 and they installed one for him free of charge. He did have to wait in line like the rest of us to get service, but once Zagg people understood the situation they took it over to a installer and he went to the front of the line...:cool:

18. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

SHOWSP09

enter this code on their website for 50% off.

19. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Thank you so much! I'm gonna purchase the IS for the back of the phone and see what this is all about :D

20. apple281 macrumors member

I have already ruined a complete screen protecter for the front and back and i just ordered a new one. I live in the bay area and i was wondering if anyone knows of a place who can install it for me? I got the front and back. If there is someone who does this i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks.