.ink files on my HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by miamijim, May 18, 2011.

1. miamijim macrumors 6502

I have just switched from using a Win XP machine and have hooked up my EXT HD to my Mac Mini, the EXT HD files all read as .ink files and I can not open them on my Mac.

Does anyone know a a way to alter the files into a readable format.

I was thinking I may have to transfer the files back from the EXT HD to my Win Laptop... then reformat the EXT HD for running on Mac & Win, then re filling the drive from the laptop and transferring files to the Mac.

Is there an easy way todo this or am I missing a vital piece of info.

Iphoto will not recognize any of the picture files.....

2. simsaladimbamba

.lnk files are normally shortcut files, are you sure you copied the real files in the first place and did not just link to them?

I guess the .lnk files are all 4KB or some similar small size, meaning no real content is inside them.

To learn more about file systems:

To learn more about Mac OS X:

3. miamijim thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the info on file systems...

I plugged it back into the laptop and it could read the files... but again not on the mac.

I have most of the info backed up on CDR so will import all the files and pics to the mac that way.

I will reformat the EXT HD using Disk Utility on the mac to Fat32.

4. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you created link to the files, not actually copied them. This would also explain why it worked on the PC they were created on (the links pointed to the correct locations) and why the Mac couldn't read them (Mac OS X does not support 'lnk' files). Before you reformat I would strongly suggest going through your CD backups and make sure you didn't do the same thing.

5. miamijim thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice,

I have managed to upload all the pics via CDR. I will look back at the laptop later to see if I moved the files by accident and only left the links on the EXT HD.

I think however all the CDR back ups are intact and I can safely reformat the EXT HD to run on the Mac.